Rogue MG2 or rackable curl bar

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Rogue MG2 or rackable curl bar

Post by Allentown » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 am

Since I have used it probably 2X a week all year, I think it is time to replace the chrome-plated EZ bar I bought from a yard sale 5 years ago.
Rackable is important, tired of LTE that feel like it is going to fall off the hooks when I finish a set.
The MG2 seems like it might have a little more uses, but not sure about the grip angle for curls and LTE.
Recommendations?

hector

Re: Rogue MG2 or rackable curl bar

Post by hector » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:37 am

What are the uses you want with your bar?
Mostly curls and LTE, or do you want to bench and press with it as well?

I have the rogue rackable curl bar and love it. But I only use it for skull crushers and curls.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Rackable curl bars are decent for OHP grip variations also.

Too bad XMark stopped making theirs. The one I have is decent considering it was half the price of Rogue’s. That being said, in todays’s constrained fitness supply, I’d probably buy whatever is available that’s not complete junk.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:06 pm

MG2 would seem to be weird for a strict skull crusher LTE.

Even for the swinging lat combo LTE, that big frame would seem to hit on things (end of bench, support leg possibly, or your head, etc).

Square cross-section/corner if you did hit something too.

Also the amount of extreme angle on the handles there , wouldn't it (want to) slip down into your grip a bit?
Yeah, maybe if your doing light weight 15 rep set with a strict LTE .
But if you put a lot weight on there (which one can do esp. w/ a swinging lat.involved-type-LTE) that style of grip might get weird.
Are those handles even knurled (which you probably wouldn't want with that much angle...as slipping = tearing).

If one was really going to focus on some LTEs and Curls, I would def. choose a rackable curl bar over a MG2 whatever.

--------------------

lonestar777

Post by lonestar777 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:07 pm

I've been looking for one for a while and haven't found anything in stock. I almost pulled the trigger on the Black Widow:

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/ ... ckable.htm

However, I just noticed Titan's was listed a backordered instead of just out of stock, so I went ahead and placed an order there:
https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... 30073.html

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:37 pm

hector wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:37 am What are the uses you want with your bar?

I have the rogue rackable curl bar and love it. But I only use it for skull crushers and curls.
Currently would only be curls and LTE, yeah. Racking the sleeves of my current ez bar on the hooks is always a little nerve-wracking, especially when I take a set nearly to failure and my wonky shoulder is acting up.
The MG2 grips are knurled, btw

hector

Post by hector » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 pm

Allentown wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:37 pm
hector wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:37 am What are the uses you want with your bar?

Currently would only be curls and LTE, yeah. Racking the sleeves of my current ez bar on the hooks is always a little nerve-wracking, especially when I take a set nearly to failure and my wonky shoulder is acting up.
The MG2 grips are knurled, btw
In that case I would strongly recommend the boneyard rackable curl bar.
But, that's the only curl bar I've ever used besides one I got for free at a yard sale.
So maybe others are awesome too.
Come to think of it, I dont actually have any sort of expertise to warrant any kind of advice here, except that my personal experience with a bone yard, rackable curl bar has been solid.

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:55 am

I have the rackable Troy curl bar.. got for $115 shipped about 4 years ago. Another option if you can find it.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:36 am

gtl wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:55 am I have the rackable Troy curl bar.. got for $115 shipped about 4 years ago. Another option if you can find it.
Well, I have about $200 in Rogue gift cards. Sure, I could collect $100 or so for wherever sells the Troy probably in the next few months, but since I am getting it for roughly #opportunitycost and I want to support US manufacturing, I lean toward Rogue.