Deadlift Form Check

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Brackish

Deadlift Form Check

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Finally back in the gym long enough to feel comfortable with all of my main lifts again, but I feel like something is really off with my form. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZunmOIk1V8Y

BenM

Re: Deadlift Form Check

Post by BenM » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm

I'm no coach and my deadlift form is probably questionable too.

But it looks to me like your hips are shooting up early on every rep, before the bar even leaves the floor, and you're really not keeping your lower back in extension.

Are your legs on the longer side? You may need to play with your setup a bit - either setup with your hips a bit higher or move a little further from the bar so you can bend your knees more to get into position. Something that helped me is that when you finish a rep, if you control the eccentric you'll tend to come back down to a fairly good starting position so if you can learn to feel that and emulate that as a starting position, that might help.

Other than that, set your back really hard before the pull. You're kinda just yanking it up, ideally you should get really tight and pull the slack out of the bar before you stand up. That'll probably help with the hips as well, if you focus on feeling the weight in your hands before you try and lift it.

Good luck with it.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:07 pm

BenM wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm I'm no coach and my deadlift form is probably questionable too.

But it looks to me like your hips are shooting up early on every rep, before the bar even leaves the floor, and you're really not keeping your lower back in extension.

Are your legs on the longer side? You may need to play with your setup a bit - either setup with your hips a bit higher or move a little further from the bar so you can bend your knees more to get into position. Something that helped me is that when you finish a rep, if you control the eccentric you'll tend to come back down to a fairly good starting position so if you can learn to feel that and emulate that as a starting position, that might help.

Other than that, set your back really hard before the pull. You're kinda just yanking it up, ideally you should get really tight and pull the slack out of the bar before you stand up. That'll probably help with the hips as well, if you focus on feeling the weight in your hands before you try and lift it.

Good luck with it.
I would agree with your assessment. I'm not particularly tall (5' 9") but maybe I have a weird leg length to torso length ratio for someone my height? Today was actually me trying to set up with my hips a little higher to avoid jerking the bar and rounding my back, but that didn't seem to work at all. I'll try focusing more on making sure my back is solid before I start the pull and see if that helps. Appreciate the input!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm

How’s your general proprioception?

This is one of the times I’d probably have someone do work that made them very conscious of where things need to be before the pull starts. Probably the first thing I’d try is “tempo” work where you’re slow and deliberate over the entire concentric phase.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:23 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm How’s your general proprioception?

This is one of the times I’d probably have someone do work that made them very conscious of where things need to be before the pull starts. Probably the first thing I’d try is “tempo” work where you’re slow and deliberate over the entire concentric phase.
I would say it is/was relatively decent. I played lacrosse up until a few years ago and was able to catch the ball without looking at once I knew where it was coming from. That being said, I'm currently in the process of being evaluated for Meniere's, so it's possible that my sense of where I am in physical space is a bit "off" without me being aware of it.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Updated video for this week. I dropped the weight, lost the belt, and focused on crushing oranges in my armpits/bending the bar as well as making sure there wasn't any slack in the bar before I pulled. Thoughts?

alek

Post by alek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Late to this party, and I ain’t no coach, but these look fine, and yeah, you have some hip rise prior to bar rise, but your back looks to stay rigid throughout the rep.

I would suggest ditching the sneakers if you can.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 pm

These look good; based on the hips coming up/knees in front of elbows, the bar is a little bit forward of the midfoot.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:21 pm

I have zero business critiquing anyone’s deadlift, but yeah - looks to me like your hips are popping up first because you’re set up too far from the bar, and it’s creeping further forward after each rep (you actually roll the bar just slightly back toward you after each one) because you’re initiating the eccentric portion of the movement by bending forward at the waist and letting your upper back and shoulders collapse. Just as you finish a rep at the top by bringing your hips to the bar, you want to initiate the eccentric by pushing your hips back and letting the bar fall straight down while continuing to crush oranges - that cue applies for the whole rep, not just on the way up. The bar should go down in exactly the same path as it came up.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:21 am

@Brackish Ok so, listen to your videos. You hear how you get set up and then the bar clinks and you pull? The bar is under zero tension and you're not really tight. You need to "pull the slack out" and get tension on the bar before you try and pull it. You know how in a squat, you get under the bar and get tight, walk it out and get nice and tight and then squat? You need to be that tight at the bottom of your deadlift, before you pull the bar off the floor.