mbasic

USPA Split?

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:13 am

JFC, the whole story is shitshow

dw

Re: USPA Split?

Post by dw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am

Not an auspicious start.

Assuming the general narrative is true this guy's effort is surely going to tank. Also seems like a huge tactical error by this guy to give the other side a reasonable pretext for airing his wife's criminal charges...

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 am

*sees pic of ol’ Mindy*

*silent retching*

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:20 am

dw wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am Assuming the general narrative is true this guy's effort is surely going to tank. Also seems like a huge tactical error by this guy to give the other side a reasonable pretext for airing his wife's criminal charges...
yeah, this.
Now, he's inadvertently created some kind of Streisand effect to the whole situation.

I wonder what position his wife held in the USPA?
Its not like she was taking drug tests...shaking the last drops of pee out of some dude's junk,
or manning the scales at weigh-ins (or .... maybe she was).

Also, to what you said above, it'd be extra awkward if you were some of those officials who did 'switch sides'
and then had to/tried to go back to USPA after finding out about the details of this cluster fuck.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:36 am

Supposedly the conviction was in 2006?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:45 am

mgil wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:36 am Supposedly the conviction was in 2006?
yes, then, funny enough.....

i saw/read was overturned on appeal in 2008 because the prosecutor said something not legally-cool to the jury during closing arguments or some such shit.

i mean, the lady DID confess.
But then got sentenced to a few years-real-jail-time or something.
Like real jail-jail....the kind of jail male sex offenders get.
So I think they hail-mary-appealed the case to get out of the jail time really.
I then appellate court used it as an excuse to get the Just Harmless Horny Lady out of jail-jail.
And it worked.

I think. I have too time time invested already. IDC

-----------------------------------------------------------

I mean, I don't blame the USPA for firing the lady even though "2006".

Imagine a USA Gymnastic official with reversed genders.
A 50 something creepy man who had sex with a 15 y.o. girl 15 years ago....
....and then the USGyA finds out about that after the fact.
So fired.

Or do Team USA Volleyball (womens team) scenario .... adult women.
So fired.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am

It should have been handled more tactfully by both sides - a 35 year old banging a 15 year old is gross and illegal most everywhere in the USA (I hope?) With that said, the notion of giving someone a second chance after such an incident is not unreasonable, especially after such a long period of time, be it professionally and socially; I don't personally think such an act is unforgivable - like forcible rape, murder, voting Libertarian. Some people don't agree with this take, and while I respectfully disagree with them, I appreciate their position.

My dad was 40 when he knocked up my then 21 year old mother. It was legal but morally, not a heck a lot of difference from the above scenario - and I know 21 is a world of difference than 15 but honestly, you are a still a moronic kid in your early twenties. Then again, dad was likely very drunk at the time so I guess he was a potential victim..regardless as I have now made this topic about me, it all worked out and lead to my existence.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 am

I competed at a push pull meet they ran in Louisville a couple years ago. They put on a great meet.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:37 am

Just saw this thread. I know Johnny decently well, all of my USPA meets have been ran by him, and he and my Dad email each other frequently but they typically talk about religion as they are both Christians. He puts on a good, fast and well organized meet. Anyone that knows him knows he is a legit good guy.

What I have heard from several sources is that the USPA had this issue brought to their attention, and informed Johnny that his wife (who I know was a national level judge, and maybe an international one as well) would need to resign her positions and would not be allowed to compete under USPA either. They also informed him that he would need to resign his state chair positions, but would still be allowed to host meets under the USPA.

From my understanding the USPA handed down these punishments because neither Johnny or his wife disclosed any of this information to them. Idk how in-depth the USPA does a background check on their judges, but the president said in a release that they would do more extensive background checks in the future. That kinda leads me to believe that they were not required to disclose any of this information before and that it is just a response from the USPA from having the news break and them look like they knew and did nothing.

He has since started his own fed, and he already owns all of the equipment he uses to host meets, and owns his own gym and screen printing business to my knowledge so he has basically everything he needs to do something on his own.

Addressing the actions of his wife is really the issue most people are struggling with. It seems, as I’ve said, they weren’t required to disclose this information to the USPA before so why punish them now? Considering how many lifters can speak for the type of people they are. But again the biggest issue is what his wife did with a minor, and that seems to be what people are upset with, and understandably so.