@laikabear where da gainz at?

slowmotion

Re: Maureen's NLP Log

Post by slowmotion » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 am

How goes it @laikabear ?

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 am

Mkgillman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am @laikabear where da gainz at?
slowmotion wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 am How goes it @laikabear ?
I know, I'm lame, I haven't been posting... I have still been lifting but I am not making much progress. NLP is definitely over and I'm just kind of aimless. And disappointed that I didn't get farther with it. I'm not sure this is the right place for me because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 am

laikabear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 amI'm not sure this is the right place for me because I don't really know what I'm doing.
I'll let you in on a secret-
Most of us don't know what we are doing.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am

@laikabear I hope you don't get too discouraged with your progress. Just look at how much stronger you are now compared to when you started your NLP!

It's understandable to be a little bit aimless after the linear progression. There's been a ton of focus on just putting more weight on the bar each session. Have you considered getting some coaching or programming services? That could help keep you on track, and help with the "not know what you're doing" part!

I'll agree with Allen though, the secret is that most of us don't really know what we're doing. But we're still doing! :)

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 am

Heck, I’m paying some weird dude from Montana that is obsessed with his lawn to tell me what to do. Lifting is basically like everything else: pretty much everyone is pretending that they know what is going on.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am

laikabear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 am I'm not sure this is the right place for me because I don't really know what I'm doing.
I don't really know what I am doing either. So I let Andy tell me what to do, and then I try my best.
chromoly wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am I'll agree with Allen though, the secret is that most of us don't really know what we're doing. But we're still doing! :)
Yeah. Keep doing @laikabear , and then you will learn as you go along. Just like the rest of us! :)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 am

@laikabear

Some ideas:

Throw a few dollars at @Hanley or Andy Baker for programming. Your compliance will probably go up.

Learn a few new lifts. Do sumo pulls. Do push presses. Figure out front squats. You don’t have to do the four lifts only. That’s boring.

Swap your schedule so that you’re lifting 2x per week and using a third session to display your strength. Rock climbing, throwing bales of hay, beating up a tire with a sledgehammer, or even a strongwoman day (@Lmeadows did some of this stuff for fun) might get you back into the groove.

While a lot of what SSOC says is silly, consistency is more important than programming. A program that keeps you lifting is going to get you stronger in the end.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am

Welcome to intermidiocy! A lot of people here were super bummed out too when they ended LP on the low side the bell curve. You're in good company.
The linear progression of dwelling on your LP results
1. reset and forget! Eat more Protein!
2. reset again and ask for help. Deny you reset the first time. Maybe even post form checks!
3. Realize you have golfer's elbow/shoulder impingement/knee/hip issues
4. Move on to a weekly program and make a spreadsheet showing how you WILL reach where you thought you'd end LP
5. Make a new "intermediate" log with a self-deprecating title and re-commit to the grind. Also post more in shitposting
6. realize you made little/no/(ahem)negative progress since LP
7. Give up, switch to High bar/fast lifts/sumo, let your body heal, program hop
9. Bask in your new found gains from step 8!!

If you like it, keep going!

xng

Post by xng » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm

After LP, I fooled around for about a month with a rep-cycling HLM, then got bored, signed up for a meet, and crushed TM for three months. That was a fun and productive period. Many fun and productive periods ahead of you! Best of luck!

Sirimiti

Post by Sirimiti » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm

I've tried HLM, TM, then 531, now 531-ish is mostly working for me.

Have some fun with it now.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 am

laikabear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 am

I know, I'm lame, I haven't been posting... I have still been lifting but I am not making much progress. NLP is definitely over and I'm just kind of aimless. And disappointed that I didn't get farther with it. I'm not sure this is the right place for me because I don't really know what I'm doing.
This is absolutely the right place for you!

I have no advice, but there is a lot to learn here, and lots of people with knowledge to share.

In any case, even if you don't post a lot, i look forward to seeing how you continue to approach your journey.

Hope the doggos are happy and your diving is going well, and lifting those tanks is getting easier.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:21 pm

Since I'm back to training, maybe I'll post here off and on. I never really did get my head out of my ass, and have trained inconsistently and started from scratch a few times.

I had a past history of golfer's elbow in my left arm that started way back when I was cycling a lot doing some short-distance triathlons, about 15 years ago. For some reason, cycling aggravated that elbow really badly. I had a pro bike fitting and consulted several cyclists (and a couple of doctors) and no one could figure it out, as I gather golfer's elbow is not common among cyclists. I finally gave up cycling and the pain eventually went away.

It came back when I started lifting weights. And it has been kind of off and on since then. Every time I stop doing what aggravates it, it goes away, but it always comes back. It's been bothering me a little since I started lifting again. I'm at really light weights, too. I have tried to modify my grip on low bar squats. I tend to feel like my wrists are neutral, but they are very extended. I tried a thumbs-around grip and that was much worse. So I moved to a grip where I am trying to actively flex my wrists and by doing that they end up more neutral. I am not sure that's going to work with any kind of weight on the bar. I also have some shoulder mobility issues I'm trying to stretch out. (I'm falling apart).

So long story long, I decided to try that "pin-firing" chin-up program that sounds like nonsense or possibly dangerous. I mean, what I've tried hasn't worked in 15 years, so... I can't do a single chin-up or pull-up. I bought some bands (the green and blue from Rep). I've never used bands before. I have a Titan T-3 short rack, so I have to do the chin-ups or pull-ups with my knees bent. I tried looping the band around the bar, but then I tried having it horizontal on band pegs and just kneeling on it, and I think that's working.

I'm probably doing it completely and utterly wrong. Not only have I forgotten how to embed a video, I've also forgotten how to at least get the text to say "here's a video" instead of the link text.

I have to lean back to get to the bottom of the range of motion, because the band is so stiff that it won't drop me to the bottom.

The protocol says to do 25 sets of 2 to start. I guess that's assuming you can do only 2 chin-ups or so. Since I can't do any, and since I have to climb up there and put my knees on the band, I ended up doing 4 sets of 12 and then 2 extra at the end. I don't know if that's equivalent or not. I wonder if I'm making them too easy with the band, but by the end I was dying and could barely finish, so I don't think I could physically do them if I made them any harder. I've done 2 days in a row, just because I tried it out yesterday (my off day) and it didn't really make my elbow hurt much.

Today was my workout day so I went ahead and did the chin-ups again. I am guessing 2 things are likely - it's going to eventually irritate the living shit out of my elbow and then I'll be magically cured as the protocol suggests, after dealing with some intense pain for a while, OR, it will irritate the shit out of my elbow and I'll be in a lot of pain and it won't cure my tendinitis and I'll have to lay off and wait for weeks or even months as the pain slowly goes away, and then I'll be back to where I was before - avoiding anything that aggravates it, which is increasingly seeming to be more things. I guess a worse scenario would be that I snap the tendon or something horrific but I think that's unlikely.
Last edited by laikabear on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Hmph, tried again to embed the video and could not get it to work. If anyone wants to tell me how to do that, I tried copying the "embed" text from Youtube but that still showed up like a link.

Edit: Thanks guys! As usual I was overthinking things. I thought that last time I posted a video you had to do some trick. Literally just type the link, wow. :lol:
Last edited by laikabear on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 am

https://www.youube.com/watch?v=Vt-qMOWH

I left out some characters here, but i just open(play) the video on my channel, hover in the address bar until the full url shows, copy and paste.
Always shows up.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:11 am

I thought that the website auto-parsed YouTube and Instagram addresses?

The website url:

Code: Select all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNhl8wT3Pc
When I just paste the website into the message body:

Also, I believe all that “embed” html garbledegool doesn’t work in BBcode (the language of our forum). But don’t quote me on that

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 am

OMG, so you just type the link and nothing more? Hahaha, I was trying to do something complicated.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 am

OK, here's me squatting last night. I don't know why I struggle with shoulder mobility on the left. I am left-handed, and I never had a shoulder injury that I'm aware of. But you can see how much higher the left side is than the right (and that's with me really trying to force the left arm down). (That's why I'm filming from behind).

I actually DID have a bad shoulder problem on the right for most of this past year - I got a flu shot in 11/2019 and apparently they hit the shoulder bursa, which caused severe pain for 9 months, any time I tried to raise my arm or basically move it at all. I was lucky in that I didn't get a frozen shoulder or permanently lose range of motion, I just had a lot of pain and nothing really helped. Over the last couple of months, the pain finally started to subside and now that shoulder barely bothers me at all anymore. So now I'm back to whatever is wrong on the left. Not usually painful but less range of motion and noticeable when I set up for squats.

No "embed" garbledgegook. :)

alek

Post by alek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:33 am

Ma’am, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, the Safety Squat Bar?

But seriously, have you ever tried/used one before? It looks like you’re training at home, and it would certainly be an extra expense even if you find one, but it may help with pain issues.

kthxbai

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:10 am

alek wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:33 am Ma’am, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, the Safety Squat Bar?

But seriously, have you ever tried/used one before? It looks like you’re training at home, and it would certainly be an extra expense even if you find one, but it may help with pain issues.

kthxbai
I do train at home, I do not have a SSB, nor have I tried one. Feel free to prosthetylize (including recommending a brand, posting videos, etc). I'm not certain I want to buy more gear right now, but I do like to learn about new things.