Weightlifting vs powerlifting

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Re: Weightlifting vs powerlifting

Post by asdf » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm

cole wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 am Have fun with snatches!
I lower all of my lifts, including snatches up to about 1.2x bodyweight. I have bumpers and a platform, but I respect my neighbors.

mbasic

Re: Weightlifting vs powerlifting

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 am

asdf wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:50 pm
SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 am I'm actually working on having bumper plates made of the same material they use for bouncy balls. I figure I'll be good for at least 475 then.
Those are called "Hi-Temps"
seriously though, when I was 16 or 17 and did my first spell of Olympic lifting (1987?), the 'olympic weirdos' at the globo-gym had one pair of 55#/25k bumpers that were insane.

They were super fat, and had a heavy duty interior bushing. It was almost like a small wheel and tire, not literally ....but fuck were they weird.

They would make a light slap and bounce off the platform but make little noise. You/they would always put those on first. The remaining plates were more normal, but the fat bumper's charactistics would still dominate the load...maybe they were slightly larger OD.

IDK, I was young and didn't know shit, but figured they used those to mitigate the noise of the dropping.
They had talked the globo-gym ("le Club" is was called) management to having their own little spot in the corner.

I have never seen another set like that.