ADHD, with or without drugs

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

DannyP

Re: ADHD, with or without drugs

Post by DannyP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

The fact that several of these meds are banned in many competitive lifting federations suggests that they can enhance performance (since they're basically speed). Probably worth discussing with a physician given their impact on things like blood pressure. Would imagine the psychological impact varies from person to person.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 am

Culican wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm According to the CDC, 11% of children have been diagnosed with ADHD and a large percentage of those are on medication for it.
And 6.1% of US children are medicated for it.

Vs 5% prevalence and 0.5% medication for Australia.

Thus, the US is overdiagnosing and/or Australia underdiagnosing, and/or the US has more ADHD children than Australia; that is, environmental and behavioural control factors are significant.

It's important to study these differences, as this teaches us a lot about the condition, for example males getting more heart disease than women.

But like women more often having IBS and food intolerances, and these issues correlating strongly with anxiety and depression, this is one of the things people don't like to study or talk about.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 am

I´ve been diagnosed with ADD about 2 years ago. In the Netherlands the first medication you´re given is methylphenidate. Didn´t really like this because it worsened my mood (I´m prone to depression), and it's effects were not reliable. I've been on wellbutrin for more than a year, it helps against depression and keeps my mind somewhat calmer, but focus still isn't great. I've not found any performance enhancing benefits using both meds.