Sean Noriega DQ Controversy

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mouse

Sean Noriega DQ Controversy

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:06 am

Admittedly I'm not a huge follower of powerlifting... and I'm just finding out about this guy... but it's worth a post...

https://www.openpowerlifting.org/u/seannoriega

Dude totaled 825kg at 82.5kg BW and the USAPL revoked his total... because he wasn't wearing a mask the right way.

I've read he did it on purpose and he's an asshole, but I'm calling bullshit on the league revoking his total AFTER the fact.

That's not 'just enforcing a rule', DQ'ing him on the spot or giving him reds would have been enforcing the rule.

That's what refs and meet directors are for.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Sean Noriega DQ Controversy

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 am

Per the openpowerlifing IG account, USAPL is now saying the DQ is because he wasn’t a registered member of the federation.

ETA:

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 am

How the hell do they let a non member check in?

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 am

The third one is he had a banned lifter as a coach apparently.

It's a bit suspect that the reason isn't clear, but he is a bit of a.. by many accounts.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:08 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 am How the hell do they let a non member check in?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am

I was unaware of a rule that says assholes get DQ'd.

On one hand, if everyone else competed following a mask rule and he didn't, there is a competitive integrity argument to be made in favor of a DQ. On the other hand, given the delayed nature of the ban, the lack of consistent reasoning (3 reasons is a sign of a steaming pile of bullshit and cover-up) and my utter lack of shits to give... I don't know.

Did you take PEDs against the rules of a comp and get popped? Did you make the lifts? I'm not sure I care after that. Starting to have/enforce other rules that let them trawl social media after and then DQ you seems like an invitation for stupidity. Also, he made the lifts under* competition rules. From a "cool numbers" perspective that's mostly what I really care about.

*The aforementioned mask/comp. integrity issue is the fly in the ointment

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 am

5hout wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am On one hand, if everyone else competed following a mask rule and he didn't, there is a competitive integrity argument to be made in favor of a DQ.
Sure, but looking at the dude's IG he had one on... just not on 'right'.

This is no different to me than if the dude was wearing/using illegal equipment or something. You don't just let the dude go up to the platform, go through the motions, GIVE HIM WHITES, and THEN say aw hey... didn't count.

I also don't really care... but it certainly reinforces my lack of desire to compete in the USAPL haha...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:25 am

Kid’s soccer leagues have better overall officiating and enforcement consistency than just about any powerlifting organization.

The current mixup of political discord and people with too much time on their hands leads to lots of silly bullshit.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:28 am

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 am
5hout wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am On one hand, if everyone else competed following a mask rule and he didn't, there is a competitive integrity argument to be made in favor of a DQ.

This is no different to me than if the dude was wearing/using illegal equipment or something. You don't just let the dude go up to the platform, go through the motions, GIVE HIM WHITES, and THEN say aw hey... didn't count.

I also don't really care... but it certainly reinforces my lack of desire to compete in the USAPL haha...
You're right. If they gave that much of a crap about comp. integrity all the information was there at the time. This isn't some bizarre case of doctored equipment only detected after the fact or PEDs. They let him lift, then decided to be angry afterwards/after some blowback.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 am

I SAW A NOSTRIL

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm

I think part of it is they may have given him the benefit of the doubt until he made IG comments about purposely flouting the rules, if the other two reasons end up not being the primary factors in the DQ.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm I think part of it is they may have given him the benefit of the doubt until he made IG comments about purposely flouting the rules, if the other two reasons end up not being the primary factors in the DQ.
So even if that was the reason and his assholeish behavior somehow 'forced their hand'... doesn't it set kind of a weird precident?

If the mask moves mid-attempt and suddenly becomes "illegal" does the lift get DQ'd now? Or does it only have to be "purposeful"?

Where does ammonia fit in to all this :lol:

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 am

mouse wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm I think part of it is they may have given him the benefit of the doubt until he made IG comments about purposely flouting the rules, if the other two reasons end up not being the primary factors in the DQ.
So even if that was the reason and his assholeish behavior somehow 'forced their hand'... doesn't it set kind of a weird precident?

If the mask moves mid-attempt and suddenly becomes "illegal" does the lift get DQ'd now? Or does it only have to be "purposeful"?

Where does ammonia fit in to all this :lol:
It came up in that IG thread, but it's up to the refs to point it out during the meet instead of waiting until after. If it comes off during the set up, don't give a start command and make them rack the bar and fix it on the clock, since the mask is supposed to be secure the entire time. Or give a warning on the first lift, and red light any lift after that where it happens again.

You can put a little ammonia capsule in your mask right before the lift, so it's easier to get a hit right when you take that big breath.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:20 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 am It came up in that IG thread, but it's up to the refs to point it out during the meet instead of waiting until after. If it comes off during the set up, don't give a start command and make them rack the bar and fix it on the clock, since the mask is supposed to be secure the entire time. Or give a warning on the first lift, and red light any lift after that where it happens again.

You can put a little ammonia capsule in your mask right before the lift, so it's easier to get a hit right when you take that big breath.
Good lord that would infuriate me... I can't imagine unracking a squat attempt and having some guy tell me to start over because he could see my nose haha...

I should learn how to sew and corner the market for masks with an ammonia cap pocket in them before someone else does...

Nobody steal that...

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 am

mouse wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:20 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 am It came up in that IG thread, but it's up to the refs to point it out during the meet instead of waiting until after. If it comes off during the set up, don't give a start command and make them rack the bar and fix it on the clock, since the mask is supposed to be secure the entire time. Or give a warning on the first lift, and red light any lift after that where it happens again.

Good lord that would infuriate me... I can't imagine unracking a squat attempt and having some guy tell me to start over because he could see my nose haha...

I should learn how to sew and corner the market for masks with an ammonia cap pocket in them before someone else does...

Nobody steal that...
N95 Napalm has a decent ring too it......

houzi

Post by houzi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 am

5hout wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am

I know that lifters have been given White Lights for a lift, and then later had them overturned/DQd. At IPF Raw worlds one girl on the Indian team got 2 squats in before judges realised she was wearing Squat Briefs under her singlet. I believe her lifts were overturned, she was DQd from competition.

Similar-ish circumstance, Blaine Sumner benched ridiculous amount of weight for a world record, got Whites. During the interlude before deadlifts, one of the other athletes at the competition pointed out to judges table that in the replay his butt came off the bench. Judges went back to watch the replay. Sumner had his lift overturned.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:29 am

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:08 am
Wilhelm wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 am How the hell do they let a non member check in?
Powerlifting orgs can't figure up how to set up an open database of registered lifters. It's a little pathetic to be honest.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:30 am

houzi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 am
5hout wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am

I know that lifters have been given White Lights for a lift, and then later had them overturned/DQd. At IPF Raw worlds one girl on the Indian team got 2 squats in before judges realised she was wearing Squat Briefs under her singlet. I believe her lifts were overturned, she was DQd from competition.

Similar-ish circumstance, Blaine Sumner benched ridiculous amount of weight for a world record, got Whites. During the interlude before deadlifts, one of the other athletes at the competition pointed out to judges table that in the replay his butt came off the bench. Judges went back to watch the replay. Sumner had his lift overturned.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
K sure, but neither of those examples are directly visible on the lifters face before they even get to the platform hahaha...

cole

Post by cole » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 am

hes one of the strongest and most well known lifters so hopefully for the USAPLs sake they can justify his DQ otherwise they are not doing any favors for themselves.