Some squat vids, comments please...

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

dw

Some squat vids, comments please...

Post by dw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I've never had any coaching or anything like that so no idea how reasonable these two videos look. I tried a different way of handling the descent in each.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Some squat vids, comments please...

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:40 pm

If your stretch reflex is merely kicking your hips up, and throwing the bar forward (not up much at all), then you are finishing the lift long after the benefit of any increase in stretch reflex, and the weight is effectily heavier because it's out front.
Better imo to work in a way that focuses on keeping the upper back, and back angle overall, locked in.

I can bounce moderately heavy sets pretty well, but my top singles slow down some.
I'm built way differently than you as well, so i don't know the finer points of addressing what appears to me to be your long torso and femurs.
But i would say work at weights where you can avoid goodmorning reps.
Slowly get stronger while being able to maintain back angle.
Ultimately, you will lift more that way.

Dropping into the hole is a viable technique if practiced, but the principle of keeping the bar at the center of mass still applies.
You could for sure develop the technique, but i think loading and form go hand in hand.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:58 pm

The early reps looked good as far as back angle, btw.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks for the comments.

The good morning tendency always shows up near failure for me but not in my warmup sets. I assume it has to do with a quad to hamstring imbalance because my DLs, which are way ahead of my squats, always degenerate to stiff legged deadlifts toward the end too.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Both sets looks pretty similar, but the first one is better since you don't lose your back angle/upper back extension towards the end. I think there's a tendency to lose upper back tightness with a faster bounce which may not be worth it on heavy singles or higher RPE sets, and I would just emphasize keeping your chest out and getting your shoulders back+down the whole time.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks ChasingCurls69.