Rest times for Oly WL?

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Kregna

Rest times for Oly WL?

Post by Kregna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am

So I've seen a few of the Every Minute On The Minute (EMOM) templates used around, including in Practical Programming.

The Snatch and C&J are quite technical, with fatigue obviously interfering with ability to perform the techniques. So what benefit are short rest breaks?

In other training, short breaks are useful for:
1. Hypertrophy - for which muscular fatigue is a component
2. Conditioning
3. Getting out of the gym quicker (logistics)

So unless you are doing some crossfit thing and using these lifts as conditioning, why would you use 1-2 minute breaks?

Catalyst Athletics wrote a little bit about timed rests being a distraction: https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... -Workouts/

Although I have seen some strong WLers sometimes train in a way that deliberately fatigues them:

Thoughts?????? I did a few weeks of EMOM and E2MOT2M but wasn't a fan

jake

Re: Rest times for Oly WL?

Post by jake » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm

I've read some people do this to build work capacity for when/if you have to follow yourself at a meet. Not sure if it actually helps though.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:22 pm

jake wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm I've read some people do this to build work capacity for when/if you have to follow yourself at a meet. Not sure if it actually helps though.
I've heard this as well. I guess at least having done it before you know how it's gonna feel, but whenever I max I take 3-5 minutes between attempts usually. I did singles today at ~90% and I probably could've kept rest times to a minute or so. And working under fatigue allows more effort to be put in at lighter weights, so you're able to keep technique consistent with heavy weights, but not having to go to max to do it.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 pm

My program doesn't include EMOM stuff but there are a lot of 3's and 4's for the snatch/CJ. The argument is that anything near or over your 1RM is always going to feel like crap, especially if it's a 3rd attempt CJ in competition, and doing lighter lifts while partially gassed is a good way to simulate those stressors without killing yourself day in and day out.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 am

Work capacity... Got it, thanks

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

If your techinque sucks, or if you've just started learning, etc., I wouldn't do any EMOM with the full classic lifts.
Maybe simple powers and/or pulls though.

They do these videos now where they time stamp the ETA to the 1st attempt . . . in the warm up room.
The pace is crazy IMO. I also laugh at the huge jumps they take (20, 70, 120, etc) at times.
Time to first lift is in the lower right hand corner.
Pretty amazing:

this one is crazy, 16 minutes in the Snatch.
from bar to 1st attempt . . . a lot of warmups

This guy can fuck right off ^
Works up to 210 in the CnJ in about only 4 minutes,
...with 13 minutes to spare, then does Crossfit basically until his 1st attempt.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Then there's this asshole (in red singlet)

150 wu @ -5:00 to 1st att
160 wu @ -2:00 to 1st att
165 1st attempt
165 2nd attempt .. +2:00 from 1st att
140 wu @ -8:00 from 3rd att
150 wu @ -7:00 from 3rd att
160 wu @ +5 from 2nd
170 miss 3rd attempt . . . +10:00 from 2nd att

dick

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 am

Kregna wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am So I've seen a few of the Every Minute On The Minute (EMOM) templates used around, including in Practical Programming.

The Snatch and C&J are quite technical, with fatigue obviously interfering with ability to perform the techniques. So what benefit are short rest breaks?

In other training, short breaks are useful for:
1. Hypertrophy - for which muscular fatigue is a component
2. Conditioning
3. Getting out of the gym quicker (logistics)

So unless you are doing some crossfit thing and using these lifts as conditioning, why would you use 1-2 minute breaks?

Catalyst Athletics wrote a little bit about timed rests being a distraction: https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... -Workouts/

Although I have seen some strong WLers sometimes train in a way that deliberately fatigues them:

Thoughts?????? I did a few weeks of EMOM and E2MOT2M but wasn't a fan
Well, with weights that are light enough to move rather quickly, and usually keeping reps per set to 3 or lower, they're not going to fatigue you nearly like a set of squats will. The snatch in particular isn't exhausting, especially for us plebs that can't snatch half their deadlift (unless YOU can snatch half your deadlift, in which case I can too, shut up).

EMOM is a silly gimmick, but even DirtyRed, He of the 20 Minute Rest Period, can do snatch doubles or C&Js, especially if they aren't essentially maxes, with only 1-3 minutes of rest, unless he gets distracted by something incredibly stupid on the gym TV. Which happens a lot.