Just Thor things

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

zappey1

Re: Just Thor things

Post by zappey1 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm

@mouse Do you think the boxing is detracting from Strongman?

I personally do. We just saw a whole bunch of people complaining how setting records at a gym makes strongman less professional. Now those same people are silent about 2 athletes boxing each other because they don't like each other. Now that's unprofessional.

Why even have strongman events at all? They can all just box each other to see who is the strongest :lol:

The huge payday is going to open the door to all kinds of boxing shenanigans and detract from the actual sport IMO.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm

mouse wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:29 am Thor V Eddie is already stupid and I can't discern what is for promotion vs. if it's actually bad blood.

In a nutshell... somebody who may or may not be associated with Giants Live posted a 15 min "doc" about the 2017 controversy... it included a bunch of cleverly edited footage to make Thor look like a whiny brat. Eddie posted it all over his IG and Seb (Thor's coach) came out with a rebuttal and posted the actual ceremony footage. From what I read today Thor is pissed and has vowed never to compete for Giants Live again...

Nevermind the weird outrage he has at WSM organizers...
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... nt-control

Eddie Hall and Colin Bryce own Official Strongman Worldwide LTD.

Thor competing over there would mean He's working for them.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

I agree that these "shenanigans" are a distraction and unwanted (by me) Reality T.V. level crap. Strongman needs to be standing on it's own with it's more or less traditional events. Boxing-schmoxing.This kinda stuff must feel like an embarrassment to guys like Kaz, Magnus, The Great Highland games competitors. What's next? A cart race in a grocery store? Fight Club? Is nothing old school cool enough/substational enough, to carry on and expand the tradition without this kind of crap? Oh well, maybe we'll all get some good ol' head squeezin's and 'splosions ala Game of Thrones. That's all that Joe and Jane public want anyway. Argh. Poor Jo'n Pa'll must be spinning... :x

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat May 23, 2020 4:52 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm @mouse Do you think the boxing is detracting from Strongman?

I personally do. We just saw a whole bunch of people complaining how setting records at a gym makes strongman less professional. Now those same people are silent about 2 athletes boxing each other because they don't like each other. Now that's unprofessional.

Why even have strongman events at all? They can all just box each other to see who is the strongest :lol:

The huge payday is going to open the door to all kinds of boxing shenanigans and detract from the actual sport IMO.
I don't think it's HURTING strongman as I don't think any of the other top guys have much if any interest in this and (no disrespect intended) don't necessarily have the fame to be able to leverage something like this...and it's not like amateur strongman athletes are gonna suddenly take up boxing because of it lol

That said... I don't think it's really helping either so...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am

mouse wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:52 am
zappey1 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm @mouse Do you think the boxing is detracting from Strongman?

I don't think it's HURTING strongman as I don't think any of the other top guys have much if any interest in this and (no disrespect intended) don't necessarily have the fame to be able to leverage something like this...and it's not like amateur strongman athletes are gonna suddenly take up boxing because of it lol

That said... I don't think it's really helping either so...
Robert Oberst already called out Nick Best (not sure if he was serious). I saw another guy call out the big guy on Thor's team for calling him fat (not sure if he was serious either). Martins called out Mateusz (I'm sure he was kidding). That all being said I'm sure they ALL would step into the ring for 50k. Hell I bet most would do it for 10k.

The point is I think this will open the door for guys to use Strongman as a stepping stone to get paydays for boxing. With the boxing eventually overshadowing the strongman. I guess we will all see how this works out.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat May 23, 2020 1:44 pm

The Oberst thing is 100% a gag
zappey1 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am The point is I think this will open the door for guys to use Strongman as a stepping stone to get paydays for boxing. With the boxing eventually overshadowing the strongman. I guess we will all see how this works out.
Trust me when I say it won't lol...

In other news... Tom Stoltman with 630 fucking lb stone over bar...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm

And it looked super easy

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 am

What are the chances of Thor and other top strongmen organizing a new "federation"?
I imaging the financials would be a huge hurdle, but maybe not with coporate sponsors.

I mean, i can see Thor just being happy doing the Arnold, and whatever other interests he has, but his statements about Giants live are pretty unequivocal.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 am

mouse wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:44 pm In other news... Tom Stoltman with 630 fucking lb stone over bar...
Watched it last night. Insane.

Ref. the boxing thing. I understand these guys want to get paid/ set up for life as their vocation obviously has a shelf life, though it's still lame as hell. I know there's some bad blood from the WSM 2017 viking press event though can't help but think both of them are laughing their arses off privately messaging one another through social media at their little circus.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Sun May 24, 2020 1:50 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 am What are the chances of Thor and other top strongmen organizing a new "federation"?
I imaging the financials would be a huge hurdle, but maybe not with coporate sponsors.

I mean, i can see Thor just being happy doing the Arnold, and whatever other interests he has, but his statements about Giants live are pretty unequivocal.
WUS (Worlds Ultimate Strongman) is emerging slowly though I don't know who's backing it. Some athlete's that compete in Giants Live compete there too. But AFAICT, Thor is the only one having beef with Hall/Bryce.

I don't know if it's such a financial hurdle to get something like this running. Giants live/WSM is held in parking lots half the time.