Knife Sharpeners

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

PC

Knife Sharpeners

Post by PC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 pm

I have a couple nice knives that may as well be Walmart knives because I can't keep an edge on them. I've tried a few sharpeners, but have ultimately landed on having the guy at the farmer's market do it in his mobile knife-sharpening-studio. I'd prefer to do it myself, but haven't landed on the best method. What do you all recommend?

Root
Grillmaster

Re: Knife Sharpeners

Post by Root » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm

This will probably upset some people but I have the Bavarian Edge. It's extremely easy, and it makes dull knives sharper, but I'm sure there are better ways.

https://www.bulbhead.com/products/bavar ... ner-offers

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:01 pm

@Cody recommended I get a Work Sharp. Got one on sale. Works really well.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Manveer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:01 pm @Cody recommended I get a Work Sharp. Got one on sale. Works really well.
Looks like they make several types of products. What in particular did you get?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 pm

PC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 pm I have a couple nice knives that may as well be Walmart knives because I can't keep an edge on them. I've tried a few sharpeners, but have ultimately landed on having the guy at the farmer's market do it in his mobile knife-sharpening-studio. I'd prefer to do it myself, but haven't landed on the best method. What do you all recommend?
You've hit on the best method. Find a reliable pro, have them do it. Learn to use a hone and actually use it, daily.

I have a tri-stone wet stone, a tri-stone dry/oil stone (at my 'rents), a bench grinder and have tried an assortment of knife sharpening sticks, a small flat oil stone and products/gimmicks. Getting a really big, solid stone (keeping it flat) and using it frequently works great, but is expensive, time consuming and high(ish) skill, plus it's super easy to mess your edge up and an expert job to fix it. I use a bench grinder or a small flat stone for "utility" knives, the small flat stone for sharpening broadheads and the wet tri-stone for my nice knives (get them done professional every once in a while).

I don't use my nice knives for everyday crap, instead I use cheapo serrated knives. This really prolongs the edges, but is the kind of ass-backwards "abstinence best birth control" logic. Also, keto helps since cutting big chunks of meat into small ones is not really handicapped by this. If I was cutting tomatoes/bell peppers/taters everyday I'd go back to using the nice knives all the time and touching them up frequently.

Now, if you really want to do a top quality job of this at home and don't want to make knife sharpening a hobby (i.e. put in the practice it takes to get and stay good at it): Get a slack belt sharpener, a strop and use them. Seriously, slack belts (once you get a bit of practice on setting the angle) are almost idiot proof. Use a finer grit than you think you need, go slow and you can't do too much damage. They don't require resurfacing/flattening (like modern compressed grit whetstones), they don't require careful re-shaping to handle curves and (with a fine belt) won't "oopsie" and destroy your edge in half a sec like a bench grinder.

Go through a few Walmart knives for practice first, it takes a bit to get the hang of it.

EDIT: Just kidding, I just saw the rec'd for a Work Sharp and googled it. It's an idiot proof slack belt, get that. It looks amazing. It's a slack belt that sets the angle for you. Seriously, this product looks perfect. I'm also having the vague recollection of having had this discovery before, and having forgot all about it, so bookmarked and sent to wife. Xmas gift for me, my dad and fil.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Root wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm
Manveer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:01 pm @Cody recommended I get a Work Sharp. Got one on sale. Works really well.
Looks like they make several types of products. What in particular did you get?
I got this one:

I kind of wish I got the Ken Onion since it has the adjustable angle. Anyway, this works well and was less than half the cost ($53 at the time).

PC

Post by PC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 pm

I, too, vaguely remember coming across this product in the past. Thanks everybody, this may be the one!

ETA: How useful is the angle adjustment? Does it make a difference, or are you just matching the current blade angle?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:30 pm

PC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 pm I, too, vaguely remember coming across this product in the past. Thanks everybody, this may be the one!

ETA: How useful is the angle adjustment? Does it make a difference, or are you just matching the current blade angle?
The one I'm looking at right now does 20 on each side or 25 on each side. I would do 20 on everything I own. If one of them does ~17, 20 and 25 I would do 20 on everything I own and touch it up frequently and hone it a ton. Anything much under 20 is fun for showing how fast you can cut tomatoes, but degrades too fast. Also, if you don't have soft-ish cutting boards 15-17 will basically instantly dull itself.

EDIT: If you don't know your blade angle (idk, maybe it came on the packaging) I'd just go slow and do 20 anyway. You might want to strop it on some leather or have a pro set it to 20 if you think it was under 17 or over 23, but anything close to 20 will work itself out over time. Fancy non-V ground edges though are their own thing. If you have a legit double beveled edge (maybe a nice pocket folder) it's going to be tricky to use the guide and keep the double bevel.
Last edited by 5hout on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:32 pm

PC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 pm I, too, vaguely remember coming across this product in the past. Thanks everybody, this may be the one!

The version I have only allows 20 or 25 degrees per side. I use 20 degrees per side for kitchen knives, even though the knives I have came with more acute angles. That’s why I said I kinda wish I got the Ken Onion version.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:34 am