Lasting Hip Pain

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Brackish

Lasting Hip Pain

Post by Brackish » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 am

I wasn't quite sure where I should put this, but the day after I moved up to 220lbs on my squat, I noticed some tightness in my hips doing normal day to day tasks. The day following that (2 days after the 220lb squat), I developed pain in both of my hips. I figured it was normal wear and tear from the new weight, so I repeated 220lbs on Wednesday and Friday of last week. Instead of getting better, the pain got worse. I decided to skip squatting on Monday to get them some time to calm down, but the pain/tightness hasn't gone anywhere. It's weird because it doesn't feel like it's in the muscles or ligaments. It almost feels like the joints themselves are swollen. Has anyone else experienced this before? I don't think my form changed all that much from the 215lbs I squatted the week before with no issues at all. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la4VSXWtvrw

Decided a video might be useful. This is one of my sets from Wednesday of last week. This was 48 hours after the 'injury' occurred.

iamsmu

Re: Lasting Hip Pain

Post by iamsmu » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:16 am

Brackish wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 am Has anyone else experienced this before?
Yes. If I start squatting, I get hip pain in a couple of weeks. I might try to squat once a week again. But I'm just planning on doing the hex bar for now.

It has reliably happened over the last couple of years.

The front of my hips get really tight. If I stretch in the morning, I seem to be able to avoid the pain. Just putting one leg back and stretching the hip flexors? seems to do the trick. . . . The pain is a deep ache inside my hips, sort of on the sides.

I'm not sure if front squats cause pain.

I did 100 body weight squats a couple times in the last week or two as part of a metcon. They didn't bother me at all. Back squatting seems to be the trigger.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am

Brackish wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 amHas anyone else experienced this before?
Yup. Whenever I ramp back up after a layoff. Don't know what it is, but it happens like clockwork for the first month or so. I'll get random stabbing pains, dull aches, etc...then it just goes away.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:04 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:16 am The front of my hips get really tight. If I stretch in the morning, I seem to be able to avoid the pain. Just putting one leg back and stretching the hip flexors? seems to do the trick. . . . The pain is a deep ache inside my hips, sort of on the sides.
Same thing happened to me. Front of my right hip was tight and I had a stabbing pain when I squatted (I called it a hip pinch). In my case it may have been originally triggered by aggressively dive-bombing deep SSB squats, like an idiot.

I think each person should play with their stance a lot to see if something helps (narrow, wide and staggered), since there is a lot of variability in hip structures. In my case it was weird - I found that a very wide sumo-looking squat immediately relieved all pain, then the next time I squatted it was completely gone and hasn't come back.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 am

This isn't coming back after a layoff (been squatting 3x a week since January), so maybe it's just the result of squatting too often then? I've messed with my stance quite a bit, and it doesn't seem to impact whether or not I feel the pain. It's there all of the time. However, I can give widening my stance a shot this week and see if it helps.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am

Not terribly helpful advice but a hip band (or similar product) really help with hip and groin soreness for me - both intraset and a day or two later. I am dumb and forget to use it half the time but for some reason it really seems to alleviate a good deal of pain and stiffness during & after squatting movements.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 am

I had hip pain after a while on the LP. Got so bad I thought I might have broken something. Physiotherapy seemed to make it worse, the guy even tried accupuncture (which just feels like having needles poked in you).

Stopped squatting. Came back gradually with the leg press. Narrowed my stance and stopped relying on bouncing out of the hole. Never came back.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 pm

I have hip pain when I let my stance get too wide, or don't stretch my calves/hips before squatting. Tight calves, for me, lead to me leaning forward and doing an accidental good morning at the bottom.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm

My lower back, hip capsules and groin have had a radiating pain on my left side since my squat session on Saturday. Sitting for a period of time really nags at it. 2 Advil a couple of times a day has helped. Sometimes its almost tender to the touch, but after the Advil kicks in then I am good to sit and move around for a bit.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 am

Well, it looks like this isn't going to be a problem for me for a while. My 'gym' is being shut down starting on Monday for two full weeks. I'll be stuck doing BW type workouts until it opens back up again. Ugh!

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:43 pm

I had this issue, to the point of being excruciating. Stopped doing “knees out” and every other cue that involves more than minimal rotation of the hip socket, and also stopped all pushing back of the hips. Instead, just concentrating on knees forward and set, then sit straight down. No more hip pain. Replaced with sore AF quads and glutes, in a good way.