Jourdan Delacruz

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mbasic

Re: Jourdan Delacruz

Post by mbasic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Ya know what's worse the a "ropes cue"?

"Flex your triceps hard and keep your arms straight no matter what becuz power leaks and if you don't keep them straight I'll reset you down to the fucking pvc pipe " cue ...aka "your arm are steel beams".

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm

mbasic wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:20 pm Ya know what's worse the a "ropes cue"?

"Flex your triceps hard and keep your arms straight no matter what becuz power leaks and if you don't keep them straight I'll reset you down to the fucking pvc pipe " cue ...aka "your arm are steel beams".
There's a reason I judge lifters and coaches by their snatch and clean pulls.

If they're shit, I know the lifter doesn't understand the mechanics of the movements, and the coach doesn't and/or hasn't explained it in a way that the lifter understands.

If they're good... everything else is, too.

Americans are fucking AWFUL at pulls. It's a hip-smash and Straight-Arm bar-leaving-the-body...it's terrible to watch.

Painful.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:52 am

Mmmm, clean pulls.

Makes me want to do some now. I can probably fit them in somewhere.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 am

Testiclaw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm There's a reason I judge lifters and coaches by their snatch and clean pulls.
Did you mean the exercise or the first and second pull of the lift itself?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:39 am

asdf wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 am
Testiclaw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm There's a reason I judge lifters and coaches by their snatch and clean pulls.
Did you mean the exercise or the first and second pull of the lift itself?
The exercises, snatch pull and clean pull.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Testiclaw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm

If they're shit, I know the lifter doesn't understand the mechanics of the movements, and the coach doesn't and/or hasn't explained it in a way that the lifter understands.

Americans are fucking AWFUL at pulls. It's a hip-smash and Straight-Arm bar-leaving-the-body...it's terrible to watch.

Painful.
How do we avoid this tragedy in our own lives!?

Seriously, is there a thread on this here?
I feel like I'm one of these straight-arm, hip-smashy people (thanks Rip). What *should* my arms be doing?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Paul wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Painful.

I feel like I'm one of these straight-arm, hip-smashy people (thanks Rip). What *should* my arms be doing?
Don't smash hips so much the bar swings forward. Bringing the bar TO the hips helps to keep it closer so it doesn't bounce away, and then not overextending the hip and pushing hips forward should help as well.
I believe arms should bend to allow the bar to continue upward (depending on weight relative to max). If you keep them straight the only place the bar can go is forward and out.

** Testiclaw, correct me if this is wrong. **

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 pm

damufunman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm
Paul wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Painful.

Don't smash hips so much the bar swings forward. Bringing the bar TO the hips helps to keep it closer so it doesn't bounce away, and then not overextending the hip and pushing hips forward should help as well.
I believe arms should bend to allow the bar to continue upward (depending on weight relative to max). If you keep them straight the only place the bar can go is forward and out.

** Testiclaw, correct me if this is wrong. **
You are correct!

So there's actually a lot to unpack here.

First, the legs push the floor away way, way longer than you think, and contact is made by pulling the bar in during explosion (not before!).

And, the arms should be long and loose UNTIL explosion, but after that we want active arms. This is why I don't like the "arms are ropes" cue...people end up with lazy arms during the third pull, or locked arms that stay straight and send the bar forward.

The arms are loose and held taught by the weight of the bar. The elbows aren't locked out, nor are they flexed, they're just long and loose UNTIL explosion.

After explosion the elbows actively get yanked up to guide barbell trajectory and pull the body down. Legs lift the bar, arms pull the body down.

The height of the pull will depend on the load, but the intent is the same. Always elongated leg drive and pulling with the elbows.

90-105% of the snatch will get pretty high.

105-115% of the snatch will be medium.

120-130% of the snatch will look more like a shrug.