Dumbbell technique resources?

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Jamiet

Dumbbell technique resources?

Post by Jamiet » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Can anyone point me towards a good resource online for learning dumbbell technique as I’m terrible at them currently.

I feel like the barbell lifts have been drilled to death online and as a result I have been able to self teach myself passable form.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Dumbbell technique resources?

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Jamiet wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 pm Can anyone point me towards a good resource online for learning dumbbell technique as I’m terrible at them currently.

I feel like the barbell lifts have been drilled to death online and as a result I have been able to self teach myself passable form.
All i can think of is googling it.
Looks to be all "10 best dumbbell exercises" kind of things.

Good luck in your search.

Griff

Post by Griff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm

@Jamiet Maybe check out the exrx? It has a pretty good library of a ton of different exercise options with short video demonstrations.

In general people don't use dumbbell exercises to measure max strength--maybe that's why there's less emphasis on optimal form. Its more like a way to do additional work, get a better stretch/longer rom (especially on bench press type movements) and get some variety. I'd start light and focus on full rom.

Any exercises in particular you're interested in?

Jamiet

Post by Jamiet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Griff wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm @Jamiet Maybe check out the exrx? It has a pretty good library of a ton of different exercise options with short video demonstrations.

In general people don't use dumbbell exercises to measure max strength--maybe that's why there's less emphasis on optimal form. Its more like a way to do additional work, get a better stretch/longer rom (especially on bench press type movements) and get some variety. I'd start light and focus on full rom.

Any exercises in particular you're interested in?
Thanks for the link @Griff, I'll check it out.

I'm just interested in the subtle nuances in technique like there is with the main barbell exercises. Things such as how to optimally grip the dumbbell, what is considered full ROM (currently have no idea), do i retract the scapula as in the same way as the bench press? Is it optimal to hold the dumbbell completely level through the entire ROM or should it be angled in any way? Should we be arching the back?

vanimal

Post by vanimal » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Jeremy Ethier’s YouTube channel is pretty good for good form advice. Not sure how many DB exercises he has that you are interested in.

Jamiet

Post by Jamiet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 pm

vanimal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:54 pm Jeremy Ethier’s YouTube channel is pretty good for good form advice. Not sure how many DB exercises he has that you are interested in.
I’ll check it out thanks