Nordic Lifting knee sleeves?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

fishwife
Olde English

Nordic Lifting knee sleeves?

Post by fishwife » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Does anyone use/has anyone used? Opinion?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: Nordic Lifting knee sleeves?

Post by Cody » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:57 am

They're just knock-off Rehbands. Cost about $2/pair in bulk and they'll tear up in a year. Any of the cheap knee sleeves on Amazon are the same. At that price point, the Stoic knee sleeves are amazing (used to be called Evolutionize).

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Is it really worth getting knee sleeves that last longer than a year? Neoprene really becomes a biohazard after a while. And I have a hard time imagining that even expensive stuff doesn't get some slack in it after a while.

Thx for the rec on Stoic/Evolutionize.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 pm

You can wash knee sleeves. The Rehbands are always a bit loose to me (has to do with how they're cut). The Evolutionize we have (3 pairs in my gym) haven't stretched out. IMO, the only folks who should really worry about if their sleeves stretch out are competitors buying 2-3 sizes smaller than their fit to eek out an extra 5lbs.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Cody wrote:You can wash knee sleeves.
Yeh, I've trained in various settings with enough dudes that wear neoprene sleeves to know that regular washing is ineffective at getting rid of the funk in neoprene. But Google tells me that wetsuit shampoo will reliably do the trick. Google also tells me that people use baking soda, vinegar, boil their knee sleeves, and other nutty things, but I would think these things would either degrade longevity or not work.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 pm

fishwife wrote:
Yeh, I've trained in various settings with enough dudes that wear neoprene sleeves to know that regular washing is ineffective at getting rid of the funk in neoprene. But Google tells me that wetsuit shampoo will reliably do the trick. Google also tells me that people use baking soda, vinegar, boil their knee sleeves, and other nutty things, but I would think these things would either degrade longevity or not work.
For my knee sleeves and elbow sleeves, I use vinegar and warm water in a bucket. Sometimes I even throw them in the washing machine (cold water) with the rest of my workout clothing, some of the hippie laundry detergent and some vinegar. Then I leave them outside to dry. This works as long as I don't go too long between washes.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 am

I like filling a tub with dish soap and hot water, letting them sit in there for a few hours, then a good rinse. My rehbands don't smell too bad, but then again I keep them in the garage. I'll probably wash them late fall in preparation for keeping them inside.

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am

fishwife wrote:
Put some vinegar in the washing machine. Works a treat at killing smells. Also nice for your sweaty lifting clothes as well...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 am

For washing, there is a product called OdoBan (I can usually rely on Home Depot to stock this) that is super effective at killing off the microorganisms that cause odor. It can be used in your washing machine in replacement of fabric softener.

Works well on gym clothes as well that seem to get stinky quickly.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am

mgil wrote:For washing, there is a product called OdoBan (I can usually rely on Home Depot to stock this) that is super effective at killing off the microorganisms that cause odor. It can be used in your washing machine in replacement of fabric softener.

Thanks mgil for the tip! I usually use vinegar, but if it's inexpensive I'll give OdoBan a shot. Also, there's a lot of different OdoBan products. Do you use a laundry specific one?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm

chromoly wrote:
mgil wrote:For washing, there is a product called OdoBan (I can usually rely on Home Depot to stock this) that is super effective at killing off the microorganisms that cause odor. It can be used in your washing machine in replacement of fabric softener.

Thanks mgil for the tip! I usually use vinegar, but if it's inexpensive I'll give OdoBan a shot. Also, there's a lot of different OdoBan products. Do you use a laundry specific one?
I use this one normally:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-1-Gal ... /202625114

$9 and I think we get about 20 loads of laundry per gallon.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I boil my knee sleeves. Works very well.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Hanley wrote:I boil my knee sleeves. Works very well.
Do you find that over time they are no longer as tight as before?

OCG

Post by OCG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 pm

chromoly wrote:
Hanley wrote:I boil my knee sleeves. Works very well.
Do you find that over time they are no longer as tight as before?
Hang them in the hot sun. They'll tighten up again.