Renaissance Periodization Diet Template

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

dcw

Re: Renaissance Periodization Diet Template

Post by dcw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:10 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am
Rfjt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 am I have an issue with phase 3 particularly. If anyone had their diet book, it says fats should always stay at .3g/lb of bodyweight st bare minimum. However the zero fats recommended in phase 3 seem to disregard the book. Are they just assuming you’ll meet the minimum from ancillary sources (hoping you’ll pick fattier protein or carb sources?)
You will get some fat from your protein sources, but not enough to hit .3g/lb. That said, FL3 isn't suppose to be sustainable. It seems most people only do it for a few weeks. I definitely wouldn't do it for long.
Yeah, what John said. I was only getting around 15-18g of fat per day during Fat Loss 3, which was less than .3g/lb BW. I only did it for two weeks.

dcw

Post by dcw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:18 pm
CamLeslie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:13 pm Hey another question for you guys.

So I started a RP Template and have been pretty consistently losing 1lb/week on the Base Tab, this being my 3rd week. I'm also out of shape and just recently started biking to work a couple times a week. 8 miles one way, mostly flat, takes me about 45min, so 16 miles total for about 1.5hrs.

Should I count that as a workout day or just a non-training day? Would you guys partition nutrients any special way? (Last couple times I've counted it as a Moderate Workout Day with evening training) Or am I just being to OCD and move on?
I'm pretty sure they say don't count cardio as a workout. Also, when they talk about a hard workout, they are talking about a long, hard bodybuilder workout with a lot of sets and very little rest. Powerlifting style workouts are generally low to moderate.
Agreed. Qualify it as a non training day for your macros. That’s great that you’re still losing weight on base. Ride that train as long as it’s still rolling!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 am

It seems like the app has all of their theories baked in. I hate the app in some ways, but it’s already delivering results.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 am It seems like the app has all of their theories baked in. I hate the app in some ways, but it’s already delivering results.
It will be much better once the app has the ability to add other foods to its database. But I agree. It seems that if you comply with its direction, you will be successful. I may use it when I cut after this bulk.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am

JohnHelton wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am
mgil wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 am It seems like the app has all of their theories baked in. I hate the app in some ways, but it’s already delivering results.
It will be much better once the app has the ability to add other foods to its database. But I agree. It seems that if you comply with its direction, you will be successful. I may use it when I cut after this bulk.
I know how to fudge some of the macros well enough and I overall like most of the options.

What I hate but understand is the meal timing. It’s up my ass about it. On some days it programs a meal at 2115 hours despite a 2200 hours bedtime. I did that once and slept like absolute garbage. I moved it up an hour or so and just lie to the app. Mike I basically had the “enemy of good is perfect” mentality regarding the diet stuff, and I see timing compliance as a pliable factor.

dcw

Post by dcw » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:21 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am meal timing
Yeah, when I was doing the templates, I often struggled with getting all of the meals in AND waiting the preferred three to five hours between meals AND not eating too close to bedtime. There just weren't enough hours in the day, and due to my schedule I had to eat three of my meals while at work, which was often a logistical nightmare. Granted, total calories were all that really mattered in terms of success, so in the end it didn't really matter that much, but it was still a little annoying though. What I ended up defaulting to was making myself adhere to the refractory period between meals and not eating right before bed. This meant that I'd frequently lump meals together. I preferred that over keeping the number of meals constant and sometimes only having an hour between them.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:58 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am
JohnHelton wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am
I know how to fudge some of the macros well enough and I overall like most of the options.

What I hate but understand is the meal timing. It’s up my ass about it. On some days it programs a meal at 2115 hours despite a 2200 hours bedtime. I did that once and slept like absolute garbage. I moved it up an hour or so and just lie to the app. Mike I basically had the “enemy of good is perfect” mentality regarding the diet stuff, and I see timing compliance as a pliable factor.
He writes about evening hunger below. The app gives me all the carbs before bed so around workouts I’ve been a little depleted and missed reps on later sets. At least that’s what I think it is. I don’t think atrophy could happen within 6 days.

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/le ... xperience/

Edit: checking my log I found that I got greedy. On my 6th cycle of the HVLF MM, doing 11 rather easy sets of bench, I added 5% to my e1rm and while the sets of 5 went okay the first session, the sevens started grinding around five sets until I missed the last rep of set 8.
Last edited by Cellist on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 pm

in the FAQ that came with the template it says about meal timing:

The times provided are merely suggestions. It’s no problem to deviate by +/- 30 minutes to accommodate your schedule.

which I took at face value. If I had to cram 2 meals 2 hours apart I did it. The meals aren't so filling that I can't face eating again.

Im still in Maintenance phase 1, weight hovering about 1kg up from the lowest point. I need to confess though that I dropped the bedtime feed.

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

I'm not a big breakfast guy so sometimes I get behind on the meals and eat like a double meal where I would combine 2 meals into 1 big meal. I also have done this when I am cooking something on the smoker or going out to dinner, so I can eat more in one sitting. I don't really think it makes much difference and if it helps with compliance, that is more important than exact timing IMO. For reference I've done this 3-4 times in 5 weeks.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm

question for the RP hive mind:

I've been on maintenance 1 for about 5 weeks now, and by their guidelines I should look to move into Maintenance 2 about now. However I am doing fine on M1: training is going well, I don't feel hungry all the time, I've even dropped the bedtime meal already. Weight has remained stable, about half a kilo above my lowest point. Do I really need to go to M2? Should I be staying here as long as I can? I'm worried that if I keep increasing calories I'm going to erode the weight loss I achieved, but also I'm worried I will be working off too low a base to run the whole thing again if I don't go back up to at least M2.

OCG

Post by OCG » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:05 am

IDK, go up to base 2, see how much weight you gain? Like the entire point is to get to a point where you're eating way more calories at your new bodyweight, so you can train and eventually have a good place to cut calories again from.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:43 am

Via the app proxy, I’m understanding that *for me* the meal timing is way less about MPS and whatnot but more about having an even energy level.

I’ve been a bit more peppy over the last week despite operating on ~2200kCal and down to a single cup of coffee. Warm conference rooms with long meetings are still difficult to combat, but overall I’m feeling good throughout the day.

AlecLeamas

Post by AlecLeamas » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am

simonrest wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm question for the RP hive mind:

I've been on maintenance 1 for about 5 weeks now, and by their guidelines I should look to move into Maintenance 2 about now. However I am doing fine on M1: training is going well, I don't feel hungry all the time, I've even dropped the bedtime meal already. Weight has remained stable, about half a kilo above my lowest point. Do I really need to go to M2? Should I be staying here as long as I can? I'm worried that if I keep increasing calories I'm going to erode the weight loss I achieved, but also I'm worried I will be working off too low a base to run the whole thing again if I don't go back up to at least M2.
Simon - are you planning to start a new cut after maintenance?

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:35 pm

AlecLeamas wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am
simonrest wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm question for the RP hive mind:

Simon - are you planning to start a new cut after maintenance?
Yes, bit not sure when. I'm going to be away for 2 weeks, then back for 8, then away for 3. Trying to run rps while overseas and traveling is going to be impossible so not sure it's worth trying to cram in an 8 week cut between trips, but I feel like I should, especially since my diet during this 2 week trip is likely going to be messy.

So I'm torn between 2 options:
1- try to stay in maintenance as long as possible, through my trips and cut again in October once I can control my diet, or
2- rush through maintenance now and drive calories up so I can cut between trips

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 am

Why do they anounce the app in the site for 14,99 USD/month and when you go through the app it says 57,99 USD/month, am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I've messed up the currency - it's 57,99 BRL, which roughly translates do 15 USD.