ussf jan 2019

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: ussf jan 2019

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:50 am

My opinion, since the brand behind this is “starting strength” and the whole shtick behind the lift choices is “the model”, is that the judging should be strict. When framed in context of Rip’s disdain for powerlifting and rule enforcement, one would imagine that the proper thing to do is be strict as possible.

Instead, you’ve got some rule bending or whatever like in the USAPL/IPF (Ray Williams’ squats are at times questionable but a 1,000lbs raw squat gets publicity) and at the end of the day Rip “I don’t care about powerlifting” is benefiting from the chatter revolving around a powerlifting meet with a few tweaks.

stantonjordan

Post by stantonjordan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm

The Press is hard to judge, no question.

Going into this competition I was unhappy with the rule-set for press but only wanted to disrupt that which was absolutely necessary. The 2019 ruleset is nearing release and should help to clarify the press. Nothing as drastic as going completely strict press or going to a push press. Not that I wouldn't make such an adjustment in the future but would prefer not to.

A judges certification and education portal is in the works and of top priority. When that is in place the judging standard will be heightened.

This federation is still very young. I have also owned it a very short time and have had to prioritize certain aspect of its development over others. This Nationals was inherited. I don't think anyone is surprised that it was a smaller event: change of ownership(turmoil), difficult to travel location being the two biggest reasons. WFAC did an excellent job running the event but of course much can be improved upon.

We do this because its fun. I hope some of you enjoyed watching. Several new meet directors are being brought on this year so hopefully if you have an interest in competing you will have a local option. Thank you!

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 pm

stantonjordan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm The Press is hard to judge, no question.

Going into this competition I was unhappy with the rule-set for press but only wanted to disrupt that which was absolutely necessary. The 2019 ruleset is nearing release and should help to clarify the press. Nothing as drastic as going completely strict press or going to a push press. Not that I wouldn't make such an adjustment in the future but would prefer not to.

A judges certification and education portal is in the works and of top priority. When that is in place the judging standard will be heightened.

This federation is still very young. I have also owned it a very short time and have had to prioritize certain aspect of its development over others. This Nationals was inherited. I don't think anyone is surprised that it was a smaller event: change of ownership(turmoil), difficult to travel location being the two biggest reasons. WFAC did an excellent job running the event but of course much can be improved upon.

We do this because its fun. I hope some of you enjoyed watching. Several new meet directors are being brought on this year so hopefully if you have an interest in competing you will have a local option. Thank you!
I watched a good portion of it online. It seemed like the meet ran really smoothly. I know I would have been like that one guy pressing the plates into the lights above. The Texas Strength Systems rack was kind of weird with how it moved in at the base, instead of the uprights angling in. I think that would be an issue for guys like me that need the rack in for squats. Just little stuff to think about as the federation grows and you get more big guys or people with shitty shoulder flexibility. :-)

I think looser pressing rules would be pretty bad ass, just to see some really big weights go overhead. But I can understand trying to keep it the way it is too. Either way, keep up the great work.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Resurrection because of this IG post...

Kudos to this dude for having some sort of strict - super layback hybrid thing but how is this a good lift in the rules? That bar appears to be way above his damn chin...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 pm Resurrection because of this IG post...

Kudos to this dude for having some sort of strict - super layback hybrid thing but how is this a good lift in the rules? That bar appears to be way above his damn chin...

I think its been removed already lol nad/or USSF IG site is down

EDIT: oh I found it at the NextLevel page:

there are several of those chin starts here (swipe thru)

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Yeah there's some pretty egregious violations in there...

My favorite is the guy who takes the whole #WeLookDown thing to the next level and stares at the floor for a minute or so after he locks it out lol

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:37 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm Yeah there's some pretty egregious violations in there...
That one was lift of the month on their YT channel.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am

I'm confused... I thought USSF's (second) Nats this year was being held in Jordan's gym... I swear I remember a thread where I posted wondering how people would fit... and the SS IG had a post touring Next Level that mentioned it was hosting nats, but now the host as "unilaterally" cancelled?

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1743400

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 am

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am I'm confused... I thought USSF's (second) Nats this year was being held in Jordan's gym... I swear I remember a thread where I posted wondering how people would fit... and the SS IG had a post touring Next Level that mentioned it was hosting nats, but now the host as "unilaterally" cancelled?

That’s odd that someone would cancel like that. Must’ve found out that SS is shitty.

There have been tales of how bad it is to host the SS seminar. The agreement is pretty shitty, iirc.

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 am
mouse wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am I'm confused... I thought USSF's (second) Nats this year was being held in Jordan's gym... I swear I remember a thread where I posted wondering how people would fit... and the SS IG had a post touring Next Level that mentioned it was hosting nats, but now the host as "unilaterally" cancelled?

That’s odd that someone would cancel like that. Must’ve found out that SS is shitty.

There have been tales of how bad it is to host the SS seminar. The agreement is pretty shitty, iirc.
Doesn't he own the gym?

https://www.nextlevelbarbell.com

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm

CamLeslie wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am
mgil wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 am

Doesn't he own the gym?

https://www.nextlevelbarbell.com
That’s really weird.

stantonjordan

Post by stantonjordan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 pm

I can clear up any confusion. The championships was scheduled to be hosted at a powerlifting gym in Hillsboro. The selection was based off available equipment, size, and an existing relationship. In fact Next Level Barbell wasn't even supposed to be a reality before nationals but life takes unexpected directions sometimes.

The unilateral cancel only had to do with existing relationships with the USPA for the host gym.

We have opted not to run the championships at this gym based upon size constraints. We could certainly find a way to run it here but another location affords us additional options. I'm hoping to announce the location in the next couple weeks as I lock down the venue. Our hopeful venue includes a fantastic space, hotel rooms, soaking tub, open bar, and food service.