The gym industry in 2017 (and beyond...)

Drafts that may or may not end up as full articles.

Moderator: Chebass88

mbasic

Re: The gym industry in 2017 (and beyond...)

Post by mbasic » Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 am

iamsmu wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm
asdf wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:16 pm Orange Theory is for people who wish their CrossFit gym only programmed metcons and never strength days. I think they'll continue to grow.
Interesting. They recently opened one next to a WholeFoods near me. It seems very popular. From what I've seen, it's mostly women.

Do they even use barbells? Looked like rowing, treadmill, body weight stuff, trx, and maybe dumbbells.
In case you don't know, the shtick is everyone wears a HRM, and all the groups current readings/results are posted on a big monitor.
You are supposed to stay just shy of the red zone ... i.e. "orange". I guess a group/accountability aspect or something.

My Lifetime Fitness started offering a similar thing.
Installed a bunch of TV monitors that run ads / play music videos all day long....until the class starts up, then they switch over to the Orange Theory layout.

Shit, I just watched a O.T. promo video, its almost like some way toned down semi-crossfit thing.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue May 07, 2019 6:18 am

mbasic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 am
In case you don't know, the shtick is everyone wears a HRM, and all the groups current readings/results are posted on a big monitor.
You are supposed to stay just shy of the red zone ... i.e. "orange". I guess a group/accountability aspect or something.
They've got a big TV in the front window with heart rate data on in. I thought it was supposed to be intense. But lots of people go grocery shopping after OT and they aren't sweaty. Maybe they have good AC and I just sweat more than most??? Or maybe those are just other people in exercise clothes. There's been an uptick in exercise clothes wearing people lately. I assumed they were Orange Theorists.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue May 07, 2019 6:34 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:18 am
mbasic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 am
They've got a big TV in the front window with heart rate data on in. I thought it was supposed to be intense. But lots of people go grocery shopping after OT and they aren't sweaty. Maybe they have good AC and I just sweat more than most??? Or maybe those are just other people in exercise clothes. There's been an uptick in exercise clothes wearing people lately. I assumed they were Orange Theorists.
unless I LIFT for a super long time, OR its fairly hot, I don't sweat that much.

If I do a true HIIT thing indoors in the gym with decent AC, say 7 rounds 25w/1:35r ballsout rower intervals... I can leave their without looking all sweaty.

If I do LISS for an hour, I can not appear all sweaty too.

Somewhere in the middle of all that, I sweat (orange levels?)

But it would seem they sell "An hour is all you need" workouts ... so yeah, that's strange (not sweaty).

CtMcBride

Post by CtMcBride » Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 am

A friend who does orange theory recently reported that they (the OT gyms) changed the range for orange zone (somewhat arbitrarily) to make it easier within the last several months. I suspect they were losing members and wanted to artificially increase the “success” rate.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 am

CtMcBride wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 am A friend who does orange theory recently reported that they (the OT gyms) changed the range for orange zone (somewhat arbitrarily) to make it easier within the last several months. I suspect they were losing members and wanted to artificially increase the “success” rate.
The have all of The Data.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 am

mgil wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 am
CtMcBride wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 am A friend who does orange theory recently reported that they (the OT gyms) changed the range for orange zone (somewhat arbitrarily) to make it easier within the last several months. I suspect they were losing members and wanted to artificially increase the “success” rate.
The have all of The Data.
Haha. Interesting. My Garmin tells me how long I spend in the orange zone. It's the same as the old OT zone, I think. I looked at their charts a while back. The orange zone is tough to sustain. Clients would run for the hills. I too can do lots of stuff without sweating. But keeping my HR in that zone is not one of them.

I'm going to look at the monitor more closely next time I walk by.