Mental Toughness

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CoconutChris

Re: Mental Toughness

Post by CoconutChris » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Idlehands wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 am Shit man, getting under the bar has been the easiest part of the last two years, assuming I had the energy for it.
This makes total sense, as you've been dealing with more important things than the bar.

I remember dreading sessions on Texas Method the day and morning before the session. I was never afraid of missing, but of getting injured while trying not to miss. Retreating into dark memories and thoughts helped take the edge off of this fear.

I try to not do this anymore without a good reason, because I find myself more dependent on the outcome of my training in everyday life if I hype myself up. Fear is one thing, but if you end up disliking training for an extended period of time, then it hurts overall compliance.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:41 am

Like Simon I used to get anxious about lifting. Now... I donno. I think I just failed enough that it's just not a big deal any more.

wk105

Post by wk105 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 am

Cool thread. This topic isn't talked about enough. I don't know what it's like to approach huge weights, but this is the little I've learnt in getting my squat and deadlift to 600.

1) See the lift as a challenge rather than a threat. A threat state is where the demands outweigh your resources, whereas a challenge one tips the balance: 'This is too heavy. I'm going to get hurt' vs. 'This is going to be tough, but I've trained hard and am ready. Time to execute! In my experience, the more you focus on what you can control, the more confident you'll be. Don't skip training. Eat and sleep well. Then handle the bar like it owes you something. It does.

2) Nerves are normal and there to prepare your body and mind. Even Tyson got scared.

3) Let thoughts of doubt wash over you. Stand in the eye of storm. Kim Walford said somewhere that unless she's 100% confident that a big deadlift is going to go, then it won't. When Luke says 'I can't believe it', Yoda responds 'That is why you fail'.

4) Andy McNab said that the worst part of torture is right before you go under. It's the same with lifting. Get under the bar and get to work.

5) Stand tall, shoulders back, chest out, head up. Stare down the bar. Watch Stephen Manuel come out onto the platform. He looks like a stalking predator.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 am

I had good mental toughness for cycling, specifically different from lifting, but kind of the one step at a time analogy from earlier in the thread.
That is still with me.
I can't recall ever having doubt (or fear) ascending mountains though. I just started young, and had done it for so many years, my body knew it was going to do what was required.

At this point, squats are where i really need to inform my body that it can and will do what is required.
Staying calm, following my ritual, and getting close to the new weight as i warm up are things that have gotten me this far.
I never lift with music. Sometimes, if i'm dragging ass, i will put something on hours before my session to get my head right.

When i started lifting, the thought of 1.5 times BW squats didn't even seem real. Now i see three plates and change on the bar, and i get in a funny place. Still almost disbelieving, but at the same time knowing "i do this".
It's becoming familiar.

But my mind still has to shepherd my body.

For me, It boils down to confidence. Not bravado, but making my body feel confident.

My mantra is two phrases, "respect the weight" and "you can do this. you just did nearly this."

One foot in front of the other...

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 pm

My thoughts on mental toughness...

For me, its not about being tough. Its about being prepared. When you feel prepared, you have no doubt.
Its also about feeling supported. Preparation is probably most of it but when you are prepared and you are being adequately supported, there is a feeling of being unstoppable. This feeling of full preparation and full support pretty much sets you on a path to succeed what you set out to do. All you have to do is not fuck it up.

When you are unprepared, you will have to adjust and just take what's there. Just try to make the majority of your days prepared ones and savor the days you are fully supported.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 pm

KDW wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 pm My thoughts on mental toughness...

For me, its not about being tough. Its about being prepared. When you feel prepared, you have no doubt.
Its also about feeling supported. Preparation is probably most of it but when you are prepared and you are being adequately supported, there is a feeling of being unstoppable. This feeling of full preparation and full support pretty much sets you on a path to succeed what you set out to do. All you have to do is not fuck it up.

When you are unprepared, you will have to adjust and just take what's there. Just try to make the majority of your days prepared ones and savor the days you are fully supported.
This is so good.

Thanks, KDW.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 pm

KOTJ wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am At meets, I'll have a lifter sit down and face away from the platform. You shouldnt give a shit what someone else is doing. You're there for you. Think less, lift more.
I always watch the other lifters. I have also never put up a decent total. Coincidince? I think not.