I want to buy kettle bells

For all your buying and selling needs

Moderator: Chebass88

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

I want to buy kettle bells

Post by Hamburgerfan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 am

In Chicago area. I need at least one light and at least one heavy. Hopefully cheaper than buying new from rogue (aka roguish highwaymen)

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: I want to buy kettle bells

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

I got one of these plus 3 10lb weights when i first started buying gear and lifting.
If you have the weights already (1 inch), this could be a good value.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fi ... stblkbfktt
So 20 to 50lbs adjustable.

I don't use it now.
If my wife moves up from just weight vest walking, i could have her do KB deadlifts, and maybe rows and passarounds.
Not holding my breath for that though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

Hamburgerfan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 am In Chicago area. I need at least one light and at least one heavy. Hopefully cheaper than buying new from rogue (aka roguish highwaymen)
Do you ever come to Grand Rapids, and would 35 and 57 constitute "light" and "heavy?"

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am

I have a plate-adjustible kettlebell that goes from 20 to 50 lbs.
Don't recommend it -- the shape is uncomfortable for any exercise where you hold it with your hand upright, like in a Get-Up. Also, it rattles.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 pm

It's the shipping that kills. If you have Prime or know a friend/family member near you who does, check Amazon to see if there are any deals there. If you're not in a hurry, you can always keep checking local Craiglist, ask around at gyms that might be getting new equipment, etc.

topfen

Post by topfen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 pm

What are you trying to do with them?

In general 16kg/35lbs or 20kg/44lbs are recommended for male beginners. For strong guys like you a 24kg/52lbs KB might be suitable but the ballistic nature and higher reps used with KB lifts might lead to problems. So you might prefer a 20kg/44lbs as the "light" bell.

"Heavy" is tricky with KBs. I used KBs quite a bit and even went to a couple of seminars in europe and outside of competitive cycles (proper KB sports) few people were good enough to use anything heavier than the 32kg/70lbs or 36kg/80lbs KBs regularly. So you might not get a lot of use out of the heavier ones.

And keep in mind that the dragondoor-style cast iron KBs are a lot more awkward to use than the russian competition bells as the weights get heavier. Especially for people with smaller hands.

jake

Post by jake » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Hamburgerfan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 am In Chicago area. I need at least one light and at least one heavy. Hopefully cheaper than buying new from rogue (aka roguish highwaymen)
If you end up having to buy new, go through titan or rep fitness (on amazon) - both are free shipping and reasonably priced from what I've seen. Also, titan has a ton sales, and a 5% off first time buyer deal so you can get a few for ~$1/lb.