Cues to engage lats in the deadlift

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

TheCheat

Cues to engage lats in the deadlift

Post by TheCheat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm seeing a lot of people preaching about really squeezing the lats when deadlifting, advocating cues such as rotating elbows in, squeezing armpits, e.t.c. Whenever I do any of that, things feel a fair bit harder for some reason. Since my lats are always sore the next day, and the bar doesn't really drift forward during the set, is this something I don't need to worry about? Presumably the lats are doing their job without me thinking about it? My counter thought was that maybe it feels easier because I'm rounding the upper back a bit, and using the cues prevents this and increases the ROM? In which case it might be good in the long run to go with squeezy rotatey thing? Or am I overthinking things (as usual)?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Cues to engage lats in the deadlift

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:34 pm

You’re likely fine. Video would confirm, although what you’re describing sounds like things are being done properly.

ohlol

Post by ohlol » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm

CWS says "protect your armpits" as if someone were trying to tickle you

I wonder if their feeling more difficult is just a matter of you getting in your head a bit more than usual and being less present

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 am

I struggle with this a lot. I tend to either engage my lats without using my erectors enough to set the low back OR set the low back but not get my lats tight/let the bar drift forward.

The armpits thing never worked well for me - I'm sure it's my implementation and not the cue itself. The elbows cue in this video has been the closest thing to a successful implementation of tight lats for me.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 am

ohlol wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm CWS says "protect your armpits" as if someone were trying to tickle you

I wonder if their feeling more difficult is just a matter of you getting in your head a bit more than usual and being less present
I think this could be the case.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 am

I like to use "stretch your arms down to grab the bar". For me this helps to engage the lats and eliminate arm bend. All the other lat cues I tried seemed to result in tight lats, but pulling up on the bar with my arms as soon as I initiated the pull.

@TheCheat your pulls may feel harder because you're unknowingly artificially shortening your arms. Stand upright and reach downwards with your arms at a 45 degree angle (with your torso remaining upright) to get an idea of what this feels like. Then try to incorporate it into your pulls.

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Stenson wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 am I like to use "stretch your arms down to grab the bar". For me this helps to engage the lats and eliminate arm bend. All the other lat cues I tried seemed to result in tight lats, but pulling up on the bar with my arms as soon as I initiated the pull.

@TheCheat your pulls may feel harder because you're unknowingly artificially shortening your arms. Stand upright and reach downwards with your arms at a 45 degree angle (with your torso remaining upright) to get an idea of what this feels like. Then try to incorporate it into your pulls.
This is how I think of it too. I just think "shrug down" or "Long arms". When I do that I can feel the lats stiffen up on either side of my torso. I pretty much do this on all three powerlifts to get my lats involved.

Rjodi

Post by Rjodi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 am

TheCheat do you deadlift in a conventional stance? I have to admit that my starting point to deadlifts was StartingStrength. Which is also why I forced myself into the conventional stance. I don't think I ever read anything about lat engagement in their book, so I never paid much attention to that area. It wasn't until I started to subscribe to some powerlifter's Youtube and Instagram channels that the term "lat engagement" was being said on the regular. I too asked myself if I had missed an integral part of the deadlift setup during my linear progression. If you asked me to do it now, I still wouldn't know how! But I am much more mindful of my upper back now that I pull sumo. It feels more natural and everything is tight and ready in my setup.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Welcome to the site @Rjodi.
Good to have you. \o/

If you wish to tag someone, you can type @theirname, and a pop up should appear which you can use to select their username.
Alternately, just [mention username [/mention but add the brackets to the end of each "mention"

I assumed you wanted to tag TheCheat, but if i was wrong, my apologies. :D

Rjodi

Post by Rjodi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Oh, thank you, Wilhelm! That will come in handy.