Hitting daily protein intake

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Sergio07

Re: Hitting daily protein intake

Post by Sergio07 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:06 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:06 pm
Sergio07 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 pmI bought like 11lb of whey for just 30 bucks.
Dang. And I thought I got a pretty good deal at $47.
I think the page was bugged an gave me one 5lb bag for free and the other one with discount.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Just dropping this here.
I'm interested in what any of the smart people have to say about the studies, etc...
I've definitely been doing 1 gram per pound BW, "to be safe", and had read that .8 gram per pound was probably just as good.
This states that .8 g per lb is already very "safe" for maximizing muscle building.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of ... ybuilders/

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:59 pm Just dropping this here.
I'm interested in what any of the smart people have to say about the studies, etc...
I've definitely been doing 1 gram per pound BW, "to be safe", and had read that .8 gram per pound was probably just as good.
This states that .8 g per lb is already very "safe" for maximizing muscle building.

Yeah I've seen articles and videos by Eric Helms that states that a protein intake around .8-1 gr per lb of bodyweight is optimal to maximize MPS, although he also recommends when someone is cutting to increase further protein intake. I like to go for 1gr per lb of BW because I've been doing so far and I like most protein sources so I don't have any problem getting to that point.

CtMcBride

Post by CtMcBride » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:59 pm Just dropping this here.

I may try to find the study later, but something fairly recent showed improvements in lean mass retention while losing weight up to 3+ g/kg. Looked like most of these studies were 10+ years old. Also, protein quality is pretty important, and I admittedly didn’t spend a lot of time reading this to see what amino profiles were used in the referenced studies. I think Jordan recently suggestion on BBM forums that somewhere around .6 g/lb (edit: it was 1.6/kg, see link below) would be sufficient for a highly trained person in maintenance, but I didn’t see a reference.

ETA: BBM link - https://forum.barbellmedicine.com/forum ... this-point

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:19 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 am Whey isolate is by far my cheapest protein source.
I buy 18 ct racks of free range eggs for $4.99, and those come in 2nd price wise.

If whey is more harmful to your wallet than any other of your protein sources, you're doing buying it wrong.
Costco has 24ct free range eggs for $4.79 btw. If you don't care about free range costco eggs are a dream, they have... 60ct? packs for some ridiculously low price. Maybe 72ct.
I get the white eggs in the plastic container. Cheaper than the brown ones, and the yolk is darker than the super cheap ones (because "healthy" is important when eating eggs... :roll: ). It's also a good size for my fridge, unlike their super cheap ones.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am
cgeorg wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:19 pm Costco has 24ct free range eggs for $4.79 btw. If you don't care about free range costco eggs are a dream, they have... 60ct? packs for some ridiculously low price. Maybe 72ct.
I get the white eggs in the plastic container. Cheaper than the brown ones, and the yolk is darker than the super cheap ones (because "healthy" is important when eating eggs... :roll: ). It's also a good size for my fridge, unlike their super cheap ones.
Yep, those are the ones I get as well. Usually 2 or 3, and a box or 2 of their egg whites. 3 eggs + half a carton is my usual breakfast. If the girlfriend is over, I'll drop the whites and add veggies and stuff for a more real-person friendly meal.