Bench press width article

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

ChasingCurls69

Re: Bench press width article

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:45 am

Kinda of late to the party, but I'm not sure I buy most of the justifications used for grip width in that article. 45° of abduction seems pretty arbitrary and also pretty narrow for most people, and that plus an unspecified injury risk seems to be the justification for the 1.5 acromion distance grio width. The most agreeable part is probably not tucking the elbows excessively like a geared lifter.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:11 am

So i'm reeling myself in a little here, and am just moving out to the ring finger on the rings to start with.
Started feeling some odd soreness in what seems like a tendon on the outside of the arm, along the bicep, but not a bicep tendon. Lower front delt? is that a thing?
Anyway, it was minor, but i felt it again today using max grip. (cured my fear of reracking w/ max grip)

I'll do ring fingers until at least my meet, and see about maybe middle fingers after that.

bross84

Post by bross84 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:01 pm

I've measured at roughly 14.5" and bench and max legal width and have no shoulder issues to speak of yet, I have been close grip (for me that's pink on the ring) for the past 6 weeks and haven't noticed any unusual shoulder pain besides just the standard muscle pain from the higher volume. It honestly took years inching my grip out before I got to max legal width and eventually found out it was my preferred grip through accessory work.

My touch point regardless of close-grip or comp. grip is around my xiphoid process as well, I mainly do the close grip work when I have no meet plans because of the added ROM and triceps work.