Programming Review + Custom Programming

Offering services? Make a post. Be clear and concise.

The administrators and moderators make no money from services offered here.

No warranties or guarantees made nor implied.

Moderators: mgil, Chebass88

CtMcBride

Programming Review + Custom Programming

Post by CtMcBride » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:54 pm

What I'm charging: $0
What I'm offering: I'll look at your last 3-6 months of training and offer my thoughts. I'll write a 4-6 week training block for you to do next.
Who this is for: Any non-elite post-novice lifter with one or more stalled lifts looking to make some progress. If what you're doing is working, I'm not looking to torpedo your program. If you've been doing this forever and are lifting nationals-level weights, I'm probably not qualified to deal with that.
Why?: I've got some free time on my hands and could use the practice programming for a variety of populations and issues. I'm not charging because, while I think I'm pretty good at this, I don't have a lengthy track record of programming for people who come to me as post-novice lifters.

Some background:
I've been lifting for ~9 years and have been coaching informally for pretty much all of that (friends, family, teammates, etc.) I've coached some Ultimate Frisbee as well and integrated barbell training with sport-specific skill and conditioning in that context. I've been coaching professionally (part time) for just under 2 years, part of the time at a YMCA and part of the time running my own coaching service out of my garage. My (paying) clients have been about 50/50 male/female and ranged from mid 20s to mid 60s. I'm currently doing all the programming for 7 people, in-person coaching 4 of those for all their training sessions, in-person with 2 once a week, and remote coaching 1. 5 out of 7 are post-novice and all are steadily making progress. I have 2 toddlers (2 and 4) with whom I spend the rest of my time (keeping them alive and stuff.)

Everyone I have coached was a relatively untrained novice when they started with me, and I've had complete control over their programming for the duration of their lifting careers. I've not had to deal with programming for someone without the luxury of knowing exactly what they've been doing and exactly how they've responded to everything they've ever done. It's a skill that I need to test and develop, so I'm willing to do it for free for a couple people at a time. With the above conditions ($0, only for non-elite, stalled lifters) if I suck, you're out no money and you're still stalled. If I'm good, you're still out no money and are no longer stalled. Either way, I get something to do during my kids' naps.

DM to set something up.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Programming Review + Custom Programming

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm

This is a cool proposal and I hope some folks take you up on it.

One thing I would request if I were you is that they track the sessions, rest, food, and some form of “day stress” along with the block you provide them. That way you can see where adjustments could be made in advance of any foibles.

CtMcBride

Post by CtMcBride » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:14 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm This is a cool proposal and I hope some folks take you up on it.
I figured it would go over a lot better than posting a bunch of unsolicited advice in people’s logs. :lol:
mgil wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm One thing I would request if I were you is that they track the sessions, rest, food, and some form of “day stress” along with the block you provide them. That way you can see where adjustments could be made in advance of any foibles.
I’ll definitely want as much data as people are willing to track, though I don’t want to add additional hurdles that might turn someone off to the process.

By “day stress” do you mean non-lifting stress? I’d be curious how to rate/track/quantify that in a useful way.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:33 pm

CtMcBride wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:14 pm
mgil wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm This is a cool proposal and I hope some folks take you up on it.
I figured it would go over a lot better than posting a bunch of unsolicited advice in people’s logs. :lol:
mgil wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm One thing I would request if I were you is that they track the sessions, rest, food, and some form of “day stress” along with the block you provide them. That way you can see where adjustments could be made in advance of any foibles.
I’ll definitely want as much data as people are willing to track, though I don’t want to add additional hurdles that might turn someone off to the process.

By “day stress” do you mean non-lifting stress? I’d be curious how to rate/track/quantify that in a useful way.
See if they will use the “TRAC” tool that RTS has and get them to report back.