barbell choices

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: barbell choices

Post by mgil » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm

My B&R is doing okay.

Main problem with the zinc is that it seems to take away from the bite of the knurl. Otherwise it’s okay. My Rogue Bella bar with the same finish is fine.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 am

iamsmu wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm The black zinc looks so cool when it first arrives, but then it turns an ugly green and the sleeves go grey.
I swear, you guys have some weird problems.
I've had my black zinc Rogue Power Bar for something like 8 years, and some of the black has faded on the smooth (I assume from thigh/back contact) and there is a little discoloration/oxidation/patina or something around the rings from basically never brushing the chalk out and keeping it in a garage year round, but no "greening" or grey sleeves or discoloration under the finish. Is this another one of those "mattresses only last two years" things, where we happen to get two people with experiences wildly out of the norm?

Though, I probably wouldn't get another zinc bar either, so I'm not defending it here or anything.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 am
iamsmu wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm The black zinc looks so cool when it first arrives, but then it turns an ugly green and the sleeves go grey.
I swear, you guys have some weird problems.
I've had my black zinc Rogue Power Bar for something like 8 years, and some of the black has faded on the smooth (I assume from thigh/back contact) and there is a little discoloration/oxidation/patina or something around the rings from basically never brushing the chalk out and keeping it in a garage year round, but no "greening" or grey sleeves or discoloration under the finish. Is this another one of those "mattresses only last two years" things, where we happen to get two people with experiences wildly out of the norm?

Though, I probably wouldn't get another zinc bar either, so I'm not defending it here or anything.
This seems to be pretty common. I found a few posts on it here and there, such as this one:

I suspect that it has to do with humidity. But I'm not sure. My wife's Bella bar is still pure black and it's been on the same rack. It just doesn't get as much sweat on it as the Ohio, which we use much more. The zinc seems very reactive to sweat. . . . My Ohio bar looks like I found it in a swamp.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:00 am

Ohio on top, Bella below.

Ya, I could clean it. But I'll just throw it away and buy another if it gets too dirty.

Here's the green with a black background. The flash really brings it out.

. . . I'll clean it this weekend. I bet the entire damn thing is green. . . I can't find the picture of it when it was new. It was a beauty though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 am

That's wild.

Griff

Post by Griff » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 am This seems to be pretty common. I found a few posts on it here and there, such as this one:

I suspect that it has to do with humidity. But I'm not sure. My wife's Bella bar is still pure black and it's been on the same rack. It just doesn't get as much sweat on it as the Ohio, which we use much more. The zinc seems very reactive to sweat. . . . My Ohio bar looks like I found it in a swamp.
I think it probably depends more on the plating chemistry. The thread you linked and this thread both suggest some bars changed colors within a couple weeks: http://board.crossfit.com/archive/index ... 87227.html

From the reddit thread (I'm guessing this is someone with FringeSport discussing their manufacturing?):
Black zinc coatings can change color over time, especially if there are impurities/contamination in the zinc bath. We faced this issue before with some Bomba Bars v1 turning to a greenish hue over time.

Eventually, we had to switch to a completely different plater, as the original plater could never completely eradicate the contamination from their baths!

I've had a black zinc Rogue Chan bar for about 2.5 years in a high humidity environment (non-insulated, non-climate controlled Houston garage). The coating has faded/worn off in places and the sleeves are a light grey from wear. I don't really mind the look--its like its own patina. I could see feeling different if it were green, though. Maybe Rogue has improved their plating over time, or maybe I just got lucky.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 am

Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 am
From the reddit thread (I'm guessing this is someone with FringeSport discussing their manufacturing?):
Black zinc coatings can change color over time, especially if there are impurities/contamination in the zinc bath. We faced this issue before with some Bomba Bars v1 turning to a greenish hue over time.

Eventually, we had to switch to a completely different plater, as the original plater could never completely eradicate the contamination from their baths!

I've had a black zinc Rogue Chan bar for about 2.5 years in a high humidity environment (non-insulated, non-climate controlled Houston garage). The coating has faded/worn off in places and the sleeves are a light grey from wear. I don't really mind the look--its like its own patina. I could see feeling different if it were green, though. Maybe Rogue has improved their plating over time, or maybe I just got lucky.
That sounds like a good basis for a warranty claim. Rogue must have had a similar problem. But what a pain. . . . I kind of don't feel like troubling Rogue with this. . . .

Looking at the picture, the greenest section is where the bar is cleanest. So it's not a cleaning issue, most likely. The damn coating is just defective. It was $285 + shipping or something like that. Hmmm.

Skid

Post by Skid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am

I've got two Rogue zinc bars with no issues, and I live in a high humidity area just a few miles from the ocean. The knurling is just right for everyday lifting and both bars are still black. There is some slight fading to silver on the non-knurled areas. I've never cleaned either bar. The green bars must have been a quality control problem with the plating and I would return them.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Skid wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am I've got two Rogue zinc bars with no issues, and I live in a high humidity area just a few miles from the ocean. The knurling is just right for everyday lifting and both bars are still black. There is some slight fading to silver on the non-knurled areas. I've never cleaned either bar. The green bars must have been a quality control problem with the plating and I would return them.
I'm come to think that this isn't right. My Bella bar is just fine. There is something wrong with the coating on the Ohio. It's not just green, it's starting to pock and corrode a little. I do generally wipe it off and brush it with a nylon kitchen brush. . . . . I asked Rogue about it. We'll see.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Like Skid, I have two black zinc Rogue bars -- a men's 2.0 and a women's Bella. Both are about four years old. Neither is green or rusted. Both have spots where the black has worn off and the bar is now silver, and not in a bad way. Both bars look broken in and cool. No issues whatsoever with either.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:01 pm

asdf wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm Like Skid, I have two black zinc Rogue bars -- a men's 2.0 and a women's Bella. Both are about four years old. Neither is green or rusted. Both have spots where the black has worn off and the bar is now silver, and not in a bad way. Both bars look broken in and cool. No issues whatsoever with either.
Good to know.

I bought the Ohio back in June 2014. It must be defective.

iamsmu

Amazing Customer Service

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Rogue emailed me back within 30 minutes. They say that this should not occur and they are sending a replacement!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: Amazing Customer Service

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm

iamsmu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm Rogue emailed me back within 30 minutes. They say that this should not occur and they are sending a replacement!
Awesome to hear!! I swear it's rare to hear great customer service stories like that. They're replacing a 4 year old bar for a defective finish. Just awesome.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Cody wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm
iamsmu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm Rogue emailed me back within 30 minutes. They say that this should not occur and they are sending a replacement!
Awesome to hear!! I swear it's rare to hear great customer service stories like that. They're replacing a 4 year old bar for a defective finish. Just awesome.
I hadn't even asked for a replacement yet. I just said, check this out. This bar isn't behaving like my other one with the same coating. . . .

I have a 6 page order history with them. I think it will get longer.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Well if anyone ends up with an extra green OPB, you're free to send it my way. It'll just make St. Patty's that much more special...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:14 am

Cody wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm Awesome to hear!! I swear it's rare to hear great customer service stories like that. They're replacing a 4 year old bar for a defective finish. Just awesome.
Indeed. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.