Joe Rogan - Jordan Peterson's Carnivore Diet Cured His Depression?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

JohnHelton

Joe Rogan - Jordan Peterson's Carnivore Diet Cured His Depression?

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 am

I thought this was interesting.

cwd

Re: Joe Rogan - Jordan Peterson's Carnivore Diet Cured His Depression?

Post by cwd » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Peterson mentions that after he started a very restricted diet, when he'd cheat, his symptoms were extremely bad.

Kids who are exposed to peanuts from infancy on are much less likely to become allergic to it, vs. kids who encounter it for the first time at school. There's some mechanism in the immune system to learn which things are benign vs. hostile.

I wonder if restricted diets *cause* food sensitivities. Like if a person has an overactive immune system, eats only rice and chicken for a month, then adds some new food, if that very process causes their immune system to trigger on that new food.

This is a scary thought. It would mean that people trying to identify food sensitivities are hurting themselves. I know of a woman who gradually became sensitive to *all* food and starved.

quark

Post by quark » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 pm

cwd wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pmI wonder if restricted diets *cause* food sensitivities. Like if a person has an overactive immune system, eats only rice and chicken for a month, then adds some new food, if that very process causes their immune system to trigger on that new food.
Early exposure to a diverse range of stuff is necessary to train the human immune system to react appropriately to stimuli. If you have a restricted diet from birth, then later exposure might cause a problem. Adopting a restricted diet in adulthood and then abandoning it is not likely to cause the same sort of problem. At least, that's my understanding of current research.

There could be a psychological component for some, in which case there might be a reaction. A popular example is some people who believe they are gluten sensitive can react to something they think is gluten, even if it isn't.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 am

Nikipedia wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:10 pm Lettuce hope Peterson will find a diet to cure his political and philosophical beliefs next.
I think his diet is all dick. Not the spotted variety.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:22 am

Nikipedia wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 am So his diet is like his personality (or lack thereof).
You are what you eat!

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 am

cwd wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pm I wonder if restricted diets *cause* food sensitivities. Like if a person has an overactive immune system, eats only rice and chicken for a month, then adds some new food, if that very process causes their immune system to trigger on that new food.
This is an interesting thought. The first time I ever went on dedicated cut I took out nearly all dairy from my diet for a 12 week period or so. Then when I went back to bulking, I (stupidly) added in about half a gallon of milk a day from the get go, along with cheese and yogurt. I was in my early 20's and had no idea what I was doing but it worked anyway because 20's. I've never been so bloated in my life than that first week of pounding down dairy products. There may be something to your assumption.

TheCheat

Post by TheCheat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

I did a 5 week no-gluten and dairy experiment just after Christmas. Re-introducing gluten was fine, but turns out I'm definitely allergic to whey & casein. It was weird how I didn't actually realise how I'd just gotten used to chronic congestion and mild headaches until they stopped. Once I figured that out though I got paranoid about everything, eggs, tomatoes, all kinds of stupid crap. I can easily see how someone can fall down a rabbit hole and convince themselves they have all kinds of problems. I'd say as a rule of thumb, if you only 'think' you have an allergy, you probably don't.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:34 pm

TheCheat wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm I did a 5 week no-gluten and dairy experiment just after Christmas. Re-introducing gluten was fine, but turns out I'm definitely allergic to whey & casein. It was weird how I didn't actually realise how I'd just gotten used to chronic congestion and mild headaches until they stopped. Once I figured that out though I got paranoid about everything, eggs, tomatoes, all kinds of stupid crap. I can easily see how someone can fall down a rabbit hole and convince themselves they have all kinds of problems. I'd say as a rule of thumb, if you only 'think' you have an allergy, you probably don't.
You got tested for that allergy, right? You can maybe desensitize yourself or maybe not. I would consult an allergist.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I thought this video was interesting because my sister has suffered from terrible arthritis since childhood, like Peterson’s daughter. Too many replaced joints to count. She also has terrible inflammation. She did Whole 30 (lchf diet) a few years ago and had amazing results concerning her auto-immune issues. Unfortunately, she started messing with “essential oils” at the same time. That certainly muddied the waters as she believed the oils caused her improvement. She is back on a traditional diet and her condition is terrible. Some people have food issues. Some don’t. You don’t want to go imagining those issues, but if you have them, it seems worthwhile to do a little self-experimentation. Why not? You want to wait for the clinical trial? You will probably be dead by then. Anyway, just some thoughts.

TheCheat

Post by TheCheat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 am

Murelli wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:34 pmYou got tested for that allergy, right? You can maybe desensitize yourself or maybe not. I would consult an allergist.
I tried reintroducing protein powder three times, each time my congestion returned about 5-7 hours later and my headaches the next day. As far as I know you can't psychosomatically cause yourself to produce bucket loads of mucus. I'd been drinking a shake a day for years and have always had problems, so I don't think desensitisation is going to happen any time soon. Means I'm not being as lazy and preparing more food now anyway, so might even be a good thing in the long run.

anelson

Post by anelson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 am

Bah, you #triggered children and your allergies! I just don't allow myself to have an allergic reaction. Problem solved!

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am

anelson wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 am Bah, you #triggered children and your allergies! I just don't allow myself to have an allergic reaction. Problem solved!
You have to stand up straight and face the allergies head-on bucko!

You can't just avoid the allergies. They are nested within the metaphorical substrate of our culture. You have to read your Jung. Nietzsche predicted what would happen if we just avoided our allergies. We had the bloodiest century in history.

And you can't just go on a restricted diet without contending with Dostoevsky first. Dostoevsky would never make a straw man of his opponents so he made sure to make the antagonist's position in his novels as strong as possible. From Raskolnikov's view he had every reason to go on a restrictive diet but he wasn't prepared to deal with the existential effects and it drove him mad.

Also lobsters eat a varied diet so that means we must have too since our last common ancestor 350 million years ago. If a dominant lobster cuts out a food group it's brain melts and is regrown as a subservient lobster brain. When lobster is subservient it lacks serotonin which is the neurotransmitter both of our brains run on. That means when you cut out a food group you become a depressed lobster.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am

Stenson wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 am The first time I ever went on dedicated cut I took out nearly all dairy from my diet for a 12 week period or so. Then when I went back to bulking, I (stupidly) added in about half a gallon of milk a day from the get go, along with cheese and yogurt... I've never been so bloated in my life than that first week of pounding down dairy products. There may be something to your assumption.
TheCheat wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm I did a 5 week no-gluten and dairy experiment just after Christmas. Re-introducing gluten was fine, but turns out I'm definitely allergic to whey & casein. It was weird how I didn't actually realise how I'd just gotten used to chronic congestion and mild headaches until they stopped.
You guys ever try probiotics, specifically with lactobacillus strains? I've heard mixed reports, anecdotally and scientifically, on that relieving lactose intolerance for some.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:02 am

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 am I thought this was interesting.

I highly doubt that there's an allergy to "greens" in general here, or carbohydrates. There's likely some confounding variable. The idea that carbs could produce systemic inflammation in an otherwise healthy person to the point they have to get joints replaced is just weird to me (BINAD). I also find the idea that exposure to something could knock you out for MONTHS a really odd idea.

I wonder if there's not something more psychosomatic here - Peterson discusses his own issues with depression, among other things. Could see him getting fucked up for a couple of days and it putting him in a funk if he had a bunch of other shit weighing down on him.

I'd be interested in seeing blood work, like Rogan said - not of lipids, though, but of something more broad, looking for vitamin/micronutrient deficiencies or surpluses. If there was, say, a massive over-consumption of iron heavy vegetables and they had hemochromatosis or something that they didn't account for, that might have bad results - I'm sure it's not that specific condition, just a possible example.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

hackerhercules wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am

You guys ever try probiotics, specifically with lactobacillus strains? I've heard mixed reports, anecdotally and scientifically, on that relieving lactose intolerance for some.
Nope, never have. I've never had any issues wth dairy other than right after this time period where I cut wayyy back on my dairy intake

TheCheat

Post by TheCheat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm

hackerhercules wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am You guys ever try probiotics, specifically with lactobacillus strains? I've heard mixed reports, anecdotally and scientifically, on that relieving lactose intolerance for some.
I take VSL #3. Doesn't make any difference w.r.t my allergic reactions. Never had any problem with lactose so can't comment on that.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:05 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am
anelson wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 am Bah, you #triggered children and your allergies! I just don't allow myself to have an allergic reaction. Problem solved!

You can't just avoid the allergies. They are nested within the metaphorical substrate of our culture. You have to read your Jung. Nietzsche predicted what would happen if we just avoided our allergies. We had the bloodiest century in history.

And you can't just go on a restricted diet without contending with Dostoevsky first. Dostoevsky would never make a straw man of his opponents so he made sure to make the antagonist's position in his novels as strong as possible. From Raskolnikov's view he had every reason to go on a restrictive diet but he wasn't prepared to deal with the existential effects and it drove him mad.

Also lobsters eat a varied diet so that means we must have too since our last common ancestor 350 million years ago. If a dominant lobster cuts out a food group it's brain melts and is regrown as a subservient lobster brain. When lobster is subservient it lacks serotonin which is the neurotransmitter both of our brains run on. That means when you cut out a food group you become a depressed lobster.
Under-appreciated post.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 pm

EricK wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Under-appreciated post.
It's a very Exodus-ified /r/enoughpetersonspam post with less hate, more humor, and is surprisingly accurate/the author is damned informed!

DCM

Post by DCM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:48 am

Something something The Gulag Archipelago