The Flywheel Effect

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Clearwater47

The Flywheel Effect

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am

Picture a huge, heavy flywheel. It’s a massive, metal disk mounted horizontally on an axle. It's about 100 feet in diameter, 10 feet thick, and it weighs about 25 tons. That flywheel is your company. Your job is to get that flywheel to move as fast as possible, because momentum—mass times velocity—is what will generate superior economic results over time.

Right now, the flywheel is at a standstill. To get it moving, you make a tremendous effort. You push with all your might, and finally you get the flywheel to inch forward. After two or three days of sustained effort, you get the flywheel to complete one entire turn. You keep pushing, and the flywheel begins to move a bit faster. It takes a lot of work, but at last the flywheel makes a second rotation. You keep pushing steadily. It makes three turns, four turns, five, six. With each turn, it moves faster, and then—at some point, you can't say exactly when—you break through. The momentum of the heavy wheel kicks in your favor. It spins faster and faster, with its own weight propelling it. You aren't pushing any harder, but the flywheel is accelerating, its momentum building, its speed increasing.

This is The Flywheel Effect!
https://www.jimcollins.com/concepts/the-flywheel.html
https://www.jimcollins.com/article_topi ... great.html

Greetings all! My name is Jeff. I'm here to share my progress on the iron journey and more importantly, learn from you all. I came late to the game - started lifting in 2016 at the age of 41. I've been a slow learner - made little progress for the first several years and finally started to figure things out in 2019-2020 around the age of 46. I've been making steady progress since then.

The driving force behind any progress I've made is the concept of the Flywheel - it takes a lot of work to get moving but once it's started results can compound quickly. In this context, the flywheel concept manifests itself in the form of consistently showing up in the gym, and continually learning and applying what I learn.

Current PR's
Squat: 305
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 455
Press: 125

I expect these will change over time, so here's the link to see what they are now if you're reading this in the future: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3482

For all of 2022 I was focused on building my Bench (added 15 lbs) and Deadlift (added 40 lbs). This year focus shifts to Squats and Pressing. I'm already making good progress, setting a 20 pound PR on my Paused Squat 2 weeks ago and a 10 pound PR on Seated Overhead Press earlier this week, so I'm excited to see where I get to at years end.

The general approach that I've found works well for me is to focus on volume work for 3-6 months at a stretch and break it up with 2-4 week periods where I focus almost exclusively on heavy low volume work. I plan to continue with this approach this year. During the volume phases I do still work in heavy singles as I've found that my body reacts to them very well.

I'll be logging my workouts here 4-6 days per week and am always thankful for comments, questions, and suggestions, so feel free to join me on the journey. Cheers!

mbasic

Re: The Flywheel Effect

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm

welcome.

More flywheel analogies: when your start off (motionless flywheel), it seems if you push really hard, or just push so-so, it only seems to move so fast at first. From a dead stop, it may not pay to push it so hard.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:16 pm

Welcome aboard! Solid numbers.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:23 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am I'm already making good progress, setting a 20 pound PR on my Paused Squat 2 weeks ago
I like you already. Love me some paused squats.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm welcome.

More flywheel analogies: when your start off (motionless flywheel), it seems if you push really hard, or just push so-so, it only seems to move so fast at first. From a dead stop, it may not pay to push it so hard.
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes indeed. I happened to have the opposite problem - I wasn't pushing hard enough. Took me a few years to figure that out.

mgil wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:16 pm Welcome aboard! Solid numbers.
Thank you. Happy to be here. :D
The numbers are better than I thought they would ever be when I started, and still increasing steadily. Since I've already passed my expectations I feel like I'm playing with house money at this point. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

DCR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:23 pm
Clearwater47 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am I'm already making good progress, setting a 20 pound PR on my Paused Squat 2 weeks ago
I like you already. Love me some paused squats.
Unfortunately, you may need to retract this statement - I very much dislike them, lol. There aren't many lifts I really 'like' anymore. I love the impact they make though. I like seeing progress on specific lifts, even if I don't like the lifts.
And I'm partially just joking around. Paused squats are a mighty fine exercise. ;)

Clearwater47

January 18, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:30 pm

High Bar Squat
145 Pounds3 sets8 reps

Hyperextension
Bodyweight3 sets12 reps

Pin Squat
135 Pounds3 sets8 reps

Leg Extension
50 Pounds3 sets12 reps

I'm still adjusting to higher volume work and I felt it big time today. Legs were shaking right from the beginning on the Leg Extensions and I thought my legs may give out going up the stairs afterward. I've always struggled to adapt to higher volumes, but see a good effect from it when I stick with it long enough. I'll slowly get acclimated to it and then the weights will start to go up. At least that's the plan, lol.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am

Welcome. I love me a good analogy.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:15 pm

MarkKO wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am Welcome. I love me a good analogy.
Thanks MarkKO. Glad to be here. :)

Clearwater47

January 19, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Push Press
100 pounds - 6 sets x 6 reps

Seated Overhead DB Press
40's - 3 sets x 8 reps

Wide MAG Lat Pulldown
90 pounds - 3 sets x 12 reps

Tricep Pushdowns w/strap
20 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps

Press is progressing nicely. At the beginning of this cycle I maxed out on Push Press with a single at 115. I've very clearly increased that.
Been having left elbow pain for a bit. It's been better recently but I was feeling it on the pulldowns today for some reason (not had issues with this in the past). The pushdowns were lighter than normal and mostly intended to lube up the elbows.

MarkKO

Re: January 19, 2023

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:22 pm Push Press
100 pounds - 6 sets x 6 reps

Seated Overhead DB Press
40's - 3 sets x 8 reps

Wide MAG Lat Pulldown
90 pounds - 3 sets x 12 reps

Tricep Pushdowns w/strap
20 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps

Press is progressing nicely. At the beginning of this cycle I maxed out on Push Press with a single at 115. I've very clearly increased that.
Been having left elbow pain for a bit. It's been better recently but I was feeling it on the pulldowns today for some reason (not had issues with this in the past). The pushdowns were lighter than normal and mostly intended to lube up the elbows.
How tired is your grip? It's just anecdotal but I've found some elbow pain can be grip related. If you've somehow really trashed your forearms, the elbows can bear the brunt of that.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:46 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 amHow tired is your grip? It's just anecdotal but I've found some elbow pain can be grip related. If you've somehow really trashed your forearms, the elbows can bear the brunt of that.
Good to know, and thanks for the feedback!

There have been days where my grip is noticeably affected, but it seems to be a symptom rather than a cause. I'm about 95% sure I know the original cause - it was a form error on bench where I wasn't retracting/depressing my left shoulder as much as my right, which in turn put extra stress on my left elbow. I noticed a difference immediately upon correcting this. Unfortunately I was benching this way every other day for nearly a month before I figured out what was causing it.

Despite fixing the root cause (I think...), it's taking longer than hoped to heal up. It's getting aggravated by squats primarily at this point - I think I figured a work around for this the other day by changing my grip. It's also tender on some other lifts, so I'm just trying to avoid those or reduce load for now. I definitely don't want this to be lingering for too long. I have a 2 week trip overseas planned starting in mid-Feb, during which time I won't be doing any lifting. That should help with recovery if it's not healed up by that point.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:19 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:46 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 amHow tired is your grip? It's just anecdotal but I've found some elbow pain can be grip related. If you've somehow really trashed your forearms, the elbows can bear the brunt of that.
Good to know, and thanks for the feedback!

There have been days where my grip is noticeably affected, but it seems to be a symptom rather than a cause. I'm about 95% sure I know the original cause - it was a form error on bench where I wasn't retracting/depressing my left shoulder as much as my right, which in turn put extra stress on my left elbow. I noticed a difference immediately upon correcting this. Unfortunately I was benching this way every other day for nearly a month before I figured out what was causing it.

Despite fixing the root cause (I think...), it's taking longer than hoped to heal up. It's getting aggravated by squats primarily at this point - I think I figured a work around for this the other day by changing my grip. It's also tender on some other lifts, so I'm just trying to avoid those or reduce load for now. I definitely don't want this to be lingering for too long. I have a 2 week trip overseas planned starting in mid-Feb, during which time I won't be doing any lifting. That should help with recovery if it's not healed up by that point.
Squats can trash your elbows. Often times what makes it happen is being taught to pull the elbows forward under the bar and pull the bar down. The idea is that this tightens the lats, but it doesn't necessarily do that and certainly isn't necessary to do that.

You can get great lat tightness by simply squeezing them, imagine trying to squeeze an orange in your armpits. The elbows will move somewhat back naturally, much like doing a lat pulldown.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if the recent change I made allows the elbow issue to clear up. If it doesn't I'll try some additional tweaks. ;)

Clearwater47

January 20, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:32 pm

Floor Press
175 pounds x 3 reps

Sumo Deadlift
415 pounds x 2 reps

Today's mission was to see how many reps I could do with a weight that's around 90% of my PR. It went well. This tells me I'm retaining most of my strength on these lifts despite doing them once every 10 days or so.

There's a good chance I'll be taking the next 2 days off. My partner is Vietnamese and it's their New Years this weekend. This is basically equivalent to Christmas. It will be a busy weekend.

Clearwater47

January 22, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:58 pm

Seated Overhead Press
85 pounds - 6 sets x 6 reps

Seated Overhead Pin Press
85 pounds - 3 sets x 10 reps

Upright Cable Row
10 pounds - 3 sets x 12 reps

DB Lateral Raise
15's - 3 sets x 12 reps

The weekend has ended up being more low key than expected and I was able to fit in a workout today.

If anything the pressing work is getting easier each week right now, despite the weekly weight increases. I started this cycle with 65 pounds for the 6x6 and struggled mightily to get through that. The 85 pounds today was significantly easier than that was. That's obviously a good sign.

Clearwater47

January 24, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:48 pm

Low Bar Squat
295 pounds x 1 rep

Had planned to do more after working up to a top single, but this one wiped me out. It was about a 10 second rep. Thought I was going to pass out part way through it, lol.

Edit: Ended up doing my 12 year old's Pull workout with him a couple hours later. Inverted Rows, Straight Arm Pulldowns, Incline Curls, Single Leg Curls, and Planks. Nothing too taxing.

Clearwater47

January 26, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm

Overhead Press
115 pounds x 1 rep
95 pounds x 3 reps

DB Front Raise
15's - 3 sets x 15 reps

Clearwater47

January 27, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:35 pm

High Bar Squat
150 pounds - 3 sets x 8 reps

Leg Extension
75 pounds - 2 sets x 15 reps

Ended up cutting out my second squat variation and hyperextensions because I was wiped out after high bar. Very short of sleep and worked out much later than normal (just finished). Rough week as I have a personal project I've been working on that needs to wrap up within the next day or two so I've been eating into my sleep time to push that to completion.

From checking out a bunch of the training logs I can see that everyone here is stronger than me. I like it. Tells me that I can learn a lot from the members. I definitely will start engaging sometime soon and trying to take in as much knowledge as I can. It's also nice to see that many of the active members are in my age range or a bit older.

Clearwater47

January 29, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:25 pm

Bench Press
155 pounds - 8 sets x 3 reps (Total of 24 reps)

Low Bar Squat
265 pounds x 1 rep
205 pounds - 8 sets x 4 reps (Total of 32 reps)

My own programming is just not working right now. I've not been able to manage the fatigue and it's preventing me from progressing. So I'm switching away from my own programming for now. After doing some reading here I decided on Hanley's 12 Session General Strength program. I'll run it for a while and see how it goes.

First session went well. Squats destroyed me since I'm not used to doing anywhere near that many reps in a session. Gave me a doozie of a headache. I was supposed to do Chin Ups as well today but my left elbow just isn't letting me right now. In fact it's even been acting up on Lat Pulldowns. Decided just to skip the chins rather than push through the pain.

Clearwater47

January 31, 2023

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:18 pm

Bench Press
130 pounds x 8/8/8/8/6/6 [44 reps total]

Sumo Deadlift
395 pounds x 1 rep
315 pounds - 8 sets x 4 reps [32 reps total]

Pushup
BW x 30/25

Hammer Curl
25 pounds - 2 sets x 10 reps

This was a bear of a workout. Took me almost 2 hours because I'm nowhere near acclimated to the volume. Everything felt good though - solid reps throughout. Most likely will take a couple days off to recover now.

@MarkKO - You may be onto something with the grip. My elbow was fine benching today but started flaring up a set or two into deadlifts, even though I was using straps. On the subsequent sets I tried to make sure the straps were very secure and didn't grip the bar quite as tightly. That seemed to help. I have a feeling the only way this is going to go away anytime soon is just to take a break from lifting. Fortunately I'll not have access to any equipment for 2 1/2 weeks starting in mid-Feb, so hopefully that will be enough time to help it heal up...