Moderator: Chebass88

stuffedsuperdud

SSD: Still not respectable

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 pm

My other log is here:
Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

For any new followers
Loggy Prequel
I've been lifting on and off since 2004, and fortunately never had any sort of a silly-bullshit period, though my efforts were way overly conservative for years.
Got on a proper LP in 2010-2011 after discovering the 70s Big site and started playing around with the Olympic lifts, but poor athleticism and lack of proper instruction meant I was doing the lifts sloppily and was always beat up to boot. Still made some shaky progress up till the early part of 2013, when I suffered a knee injury that sidelined me for several months.

Season 1
I spent most of late 2013 and all of 2014 tired of the classical lifts and did TM for a while. This was also when I first logged for you all. My life was pretty stressful and depressing during that time and it reflected in the training and the logging. I think at the time I had one loyal reader, Oldman, whom I hope is doing all right.

Season 2
At the end of the 2014 I joined a gym that had proper Olympic weightlifting equipment and the wiry little coach who used to compete on the Polish national team (105/100/130 lifetime bests in the old 60kg class, and yes, that 105 is a fucking press because old-school). He advocated vodka and cigarettes during training, constantly told me to quit being a bitch, and said the 2nd pull on a snatch or a clean was "like when you are with a woman. Boom. Boom boom boom."

Season 3
I move to DC last summer (2016) for a new job and have been making a much more serious effort at getting less awful at the Olympic lifts.

All lifts in kgs because I am not a barbarian.

Current bests
Snatch: 104
CJ: 122
Clean: 133
Jerk: 122
Squat: 215
Front squat: 151x2
Deadlift: 201
Snatch DL: 160x2
Snatch press: 73

Older #s:
Press: 82x4 (2014)
Bench: 107x4 (2012)
Snatch DL: 180?? x5 (2014)

Recurring log characters, past/present, in order of importance
Cancer Girl (CG): BFF and the chair of my committee on feminine affairs. She suffered a bout of breast cancer 4 years ago at age 30 or so and for once in my fucking life I was able to be a normal human and be there for another human, which earned me cred for life. Her former nationality continues to give me problems with OPM.
The Pollock: Our original hero, the coach at my old gym with whom I still keep in touch.
Lyudmila (Lil' L): (Former) co-worker. A hard-drinking Russian-born PhD computer nerd from rural Louisiana. Likes rare steaks, German cars, and bad puns. Gilchrest is annoyed with me for not getting my shit together and marrying her like I know deep down I should.
Coach: Head coach at my current gym. Doubles as my life coach, against her will.
Sister: My workaholic no-nonsense younger sister, whom everyone assumes is older whenever I mention her because she has her shit together.
Mother: Makes very few direct appearances. You've heard about her from Portnoy's Complaint. Violently disapproves of my lifting, career, and extended bachelorhood.

General bio:
  • 31 years old because holy shit time flies.
  • I walk around at 5'9" and a bit under 100kg, but I really ought to slim down to the 94s. For health and vanity reasons mostly, not for weight-class reasons because I am terrible even by 56kg standards.
  • I have a doctorate in biomedical engineering, which probably wasn't worth it.
  • For some reason, I also know a lot about about fashion/style, so consult with me before buying your next expensive garment.
  • I am awful at forming meaningful emotional connections in general, and am particularly rubbish at the eros variant specifically.
Last edited by stuffedsuperdud on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Re: SSD: Still not respectable

Post by Idlehands » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 am

You got come copy paste errors in that first post.

Also welcome! It’s about goddamned time.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:11 am

Finally

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 am

He's heeeerrrrreeeeeeeee

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 am

Idlehands wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 am You got come copy paste errors in that first post.

Fixed. And yea I was stupidly optimistic about that other site but it's probably broken forever, plus it seems like all six of my original readers are now here anyway, so......

BTW I didn't follow the E&P gossip so I don't really know what happened right before a bunch of you guys were raptured, except that somehow a double layback press was involved.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 am
Idlehands wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 am You got come copy paste errors in that first post.

Fixed. And yea I was stupidly optimistic about that other site but it's probably broken forever, plus it seems like all six of my readers are now here anyway, so......

BTW I didn't follow the E&P gossip so I don't really know what happened right before a bunch of you guys were raptured, except that somehow a double layback press was involved.
People got banned. Threads got broken. I dunno KDW was like "new forum?" and I'm like sure man fuck it. Then some cool people came back and fuck that place!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:48 am

Good to see you here!

Also very humbled by my appearance in the reboot origin story.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Lifting so that I'm not one of those shitpost-only assholes:

Squat:
20kg x10
60x10
100x5 paused
130x3 paused
160x3
170x3
180x3
160x3 paused

My wrist is still up shit creek so overhead work is out. All of the squats felt easy at least. Need bigger quads.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Wrist feeling a bit better finally but I'm being smart about it, i.e. a pussy. I'm also finally actively attacking the problem with science, namely cissus, fish oil, and naproxen, instead of just waiting it out.

Clean:
20kg x a bunch
40x3
60x3
70x3
80x3
90x2
100x2
110x2

All pretty easy. I've never been pinned by a clean before (I have been pinned by a snatch though, oddly enough...) because the racking was always the problem, but now that the elbow ROM is improving, it's less of an issue.

Deadlift:
130x3
160x3
170x1
180x1
190x1

Ugh when I write this out, this isn't much volume at all....

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am

Where do you Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V?

Does 'lil L like Robotech?

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm

^Legit LOL'ed. Even though I don't know what you're talking about. I also had to google Robotech because I am not a good nerd. I actually went to a magnet high school that was like 95% Asian, and we had three anime clubs. The trouble was they all met on Fridays, and I had a scheduling conflict...because I was downstairs....in the goddamn chess club. Lyudmila doesn't seem to know what anime in general is. She also just found out about Winnie-the-Pooh the other day when it came up in a movie trailer, so.....yea there are some gaps there that need to be filled.

Today, ran in to do this thing:
Front squat:
20kg x many
60x5
90x5
100x5
110x3
120x3
130x3
135x3 finally. Just had to remember to keep the front rack engaged. Miiiiight be a 3 rep PR? Coulda taken it for 4-5 probably.

bbl gotta go do a thing

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm ^Legit LOL'ed. Even though I don't know what you're talking about. I also had to google Robotech because I am not a good nerd. I actually went to a magnet high school that was like 95% Asian, and we had three anime clubs. The trouble was they all met on Fridays, and I had a scheduling conflict...because I was downstairs....in the goddamn chess club. Lyudmila doesn't seem to know what anime in general is. She also just found out about Winnie-the-Pooh the other day when it came up in a movie trailer, so.....yea there are some gaps there that need to be filled.

Today, ran in to do this thing:
Front squat:
20kg x many
60x5
90x5
100x5
110x3
120x3
130x3
135x3 finally. Just had to remember to keep the front rack engaged. Miiiiight be a 3 rep PR? Coulda taken it for 4-5 probably.

bbl gotta go do a thing

Jfc man. We’ve been telling you about her gaps to be filled for this entire season!
Figure it out !

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 am

Terrible.

I tried to train today despite fatigue from the last 3 days. I got:

Clean:
20kg x many, feeling good
40x5
60x4
80x2
90x1
100x1

My low back started tightening up after 90 and became really uncomfortable after 100 so I cut it off there. It's still pretty annoyed now, so I guess it's heat and rest for the rest of today and see what tomorrow brings. Blah. And just as I impulsively signed up for a local meet for next month too. Them's the breaks, I guess.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 pm

So my back thing was indeed a strain, which left me quite uncomfortable all day Saturday and Sunday. Coupled with my wrist and elbow issues, I was left unable to do much of anything except sit around with a heat pack. I did go in today and managed

Press from split:
20kg x a bunch
40x4x4
50x4x3
55x4x3

Deadlift:
20kg x a bunch
50x10x2
60x10x2
70x10x2

Call it a Starr-ish protocol? Competing next month is going to be a bitch.

Tweaking my back led to a series of minor annoyances including the moth bites, my tailor making a little mistake on something, having to make at trip out to dickhead central, AKA Georgetown, cutting the thumb-index-finger webbing on my hand and getting blood all over a jacket sleeve, and then receiving what I thought was a booty call from the Latin girl but then we went on a jellydick betamale phaggotronic excursion to the fucking mall for Dave and Buster's and a movie, i.e. it was us and like 20 nervous teenage pairs. Half those guys here were pretty stoked about the imminent thrill of seeing a girl naked for the first time. The other half were picked up in the girls' moms' minivans. Turns out what had happened was her roommate had some boytoy over, which hurt her self-esteem a little bit, and she needed that safe little boost that guys like me excel at providing. When I got back my roommate was at the dining room table, halfway through a bottle of Bulleit Rye. He put two and two together and then yelled at me, "Fuck you, you spineless dickless fuck. You bench like 400 [lolz], you work a nerdy-ass job, and you're wearing a fucking blazer to the movies. And I saw her groping you on Halloween. Fucking take a shot already. Shooters shoot, you pussy." Pretty sure Idlehands and Gilchrest said the exact same thing to me word for word once or twice.

On Sunday I got to (had to) go see Imagine Dragons with Lyudmila. I'm not really a fan and was sort of dragging my feet when I got there; Lil L herself was super hangry and yelled at me for not knowing off the top of my head where to eat.

"Uggh what's up with you?"
"Shut up. I just drove back from New Jersey."
"Wha? Why were you in New Jersey?"
"I was just there to get my hair done."
"You drove up to New Jersey to get your hair done?"
"Well I was visiting a good friend of mine. I talked to him on Thursday and drove up on Friday then he threw a surprise party in my honor yesterday! All his friends came! Can you believe it?"
Okay this is the part where I don't ask questions I don't want answered because the one time ever that I drove across multiple state lines without telling anyone, and with only a vague explanation later, hotly-anticipated (and ultimately highly upsetting...because hey it's me) intercourse was involved.
I Bertstared a little and she went, "But I was just there for my hair........... Ooooookay....the fuck's the matter? I'm not liking this vibe."

We went inside where my back hated sitting in the little chair, and we had to sit through about 90 minutes of opening acts. I had to step out onto the concourse multiple times for $14 shots of Jameson to take the edge off. On my third trip, Lyudmila made me buy her a $10 soda, which turned out to be mostly water with a bit of Coke syrup stirred in.

The concert itself was.....well it was Imagine Dragons. So the objective narrative is, I had the luxury of attenting a megabudget concert at a nice venue in the center of the world's unofficial capital of asskickery. Shoulda been happy and grateful but instead I was just floundering at life.

Afterward she handed me the faux soda, mostly unused, and in an unexpected split second of irrational rage, I spiked it at the nearest garbage can. It hit the rim and exploded, showering me and my stupid Banana Republic sweater-blazer thing with the watery nothingness along with probably a superstrain of HIV.

It's actually been a rough week in general, including a day where I was so over it that I, stuck in traffic, shouted obscenities at an Ethiopian guy driving a hummer limo as he coasted down the shoulder of the freeway and then tried to re-enter the freeway proper by cutting me off as I toiled in the right lane. I was triggered not by his admittedly annoying/unsafe move but by everything hummer limos represent, i.e. douchebag white guys who get their dicks sucked anyway. And then I immediately regretted it because the poor guy was just the driver, and if anyone hates those fucks, it's him as he cleans the puke and vodka off the seats night in and night out. Whoops. Look at me, adding more pain to the world.

Anyone else a fan of the movie Falling Down?

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:45 am

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am Does 'lil L like Robotech?
I was wrong! I doublechecked with Lyudmila yesterday and she went, "Wait hold on...now it sounds familiar." Googled it and then started giggling into her phone.
"What's so funny?"
"I totally watched this when I was a kid. I just didn't know what it was called. My friend only liked Sailor Moon though so I watched that with her and then made her watch this with me." Well there you go then. She then made me hang out with her for nine hours yesterday and then I got an awkward sidehug for my efforts because porque no.

Training:
Told the floor coach my list of pains and he goes, "Mmmm calfraises. And suicide." Well happy Veterans Day to you too, Major.

Just so I didn't forget how to lift weights....
No feet snatch from high hang:
20kg x many
40x5x2
50x5x2
60x3

Deadlift + RDL 10+10
60x1
70x1
80x1
90x1
100x1

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Get to work on L or I’ll make her a sister wife.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:55 am

I know that feel. My ex has decided that Thursdays she comes over and cooks dinner and we watch a move.

I'm not feeling the new Imagine Dragons album as much as the last two. Love that band though.

Though this am I realized You are in DC, and one of my sales engineers/vendors is in dc. I could probably put together something that soaks the vender, if I could get logistics sorted.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Get your ass down here. I know many places for drinking.

Speaking of which.......

So Saturday started out with some okay training but then things went sideways a bit. Remember that suit I ordered about a month ago? Doublebreasted midnight blue serge flannel affair, as stick-up-your-ass as possible, etc etc. Well I went in for a first fitting yesterday and found out they cut the jacket wrong. Total beginner's mistake, too. Look here:

Notice how on the single breasted suit jacket, the corners at the bottom of the front opening are rounded, whereas on the double breasted the corners (well, you can only see one of them anyway) are squared? Well, these fools put rounded corners on mine. Little details that no one will notice, I am sure, but drives my OCD ass crazy plus they really should have known better. So now I get to fight with them about who gets to pay for the extra fabric needed for the redo. They tried to tell me that this was nbd but I am not having any of that. Le sigh at this 0th World problem.

So I decided fuck it time to drink. Got a bottle of Laphroaig and my roommate and I went through the whole damn thing. We then went down the street to Old Town Alexandria and crashed a wedding by accident it's fine. That is to say we walked into a bar and found ourselves in the thick of it. We were wearing suits and blended in, one thing led to another, etc etc. But the jig was up when my roomie got waaaay to shitfaced and could no longer keep our story straight. And that's the long story of why on Sunday I was way too hung over to train.

Today, just to get the blood moving and keep the back pliable:
Pause squats:
20kg x many
60x10
100x10
130x5
140x9
150x6

RDL:
20x many
60x10
80x10

Deadlift:
80x10
100x10

bbl gotta go get Lil L from Reagan because that's what I do now

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 am

Why does both of those men have their ties on crocked?
Why does the double breasted suit jacket have outside pockets?
Why didn't they make the man on the left take his wrist watch off for the picture?

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:38 pm

slowmotion wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 am Why does both of those men have their ties on crocked?
These two guys own Cifonelli, an ultra high end Parisian tailoring house favored by noveau riche Eurotrash fuckshits. You know, the tacky taints who at age 44 will still post yacht-borne feet pics #vacay #workhardplayhard #boathairdontcare to IG, with some paid 7/10 Czech lady in the background, and then do a line of coke off a Filipino boatboy's scrotum because THAT IS HOW WE DO. As such, they have to ham it up with the tryhard nonsense, and part of that means a heavy dose of sprezzatura, which is a douchey way of describing that thing where someone tries way too hard to pretend like he's not trying.

Unfortunately for them, their most prominent customer on the internet seems to be this especially odious and narcissistic Monaco-based real estate fella, who has nothing better to do with his disposable income than to commission badly Autotuned music videos starring himself as he goes jogging, shadowboxing, shopping, drinking, and, yep, getting fitted for a suit, all while an expensive yet not particularly eye-catching escort reluctantly grips his elbow.

Fuck this guy.

/h8erade
slowmotion wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 am Why does the double breasted suit jacket have outside pockets?
That's a bit of a stylistic choice. Interestingly, the doublebreasted jacket was originally considered an informal garment for outdoor activities only, and the big practical outside pockets would thus be appropriate; the extra fabric in a doublebreasted = extra warmth when out in crappy British weather or when on a 19th century sailing vessel. In this guy's case, he actually makes some reeeeeaaally nice stuff for himself in fabrics woven from only the finest Himalayan unicorn wools, so perhaps this is just a casual beater jacket for him.
slowmotion wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 am Why didn't they make the man on the left take his wrist watch off for the picture?
A watch is considered inappropriate for black tie because you're not supposed to care what time it is when you're partying hard, but with a casual suit it's...okay? If we're going to be super hardcore about this though, note that legend tells, a watch was historically considered a feminine tool, and was worn by men at all only because in The Great War, it was more handier than a clunky pocketwatch when synchronizing infantry advances into no man's land with a creeping artillery barrage.