Just trying to be consistent

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

allPrimes

Re: Just trying to be consistent

Post by allPrimes » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:32 am

Stunning what consistency can do for lifting. Or not stunning. Another new back squat PR @8 for me yesterday, hitting 290lbs. Peanuts for some people here but for an old fat guy who just wants to hit three plates, I'll take a third PR in as many weeks!

Emailing with a friend a knowledgeable coach recently about conjugate and energy pathway programming and thinking about trying to write something for myself. I think I have a decent weekly framework that ascribes to the ideas of conjugate and hybrid training, but still need to fill in the gaps related to progression. Makes me realize how little I know about programming.

Random thought: I really like weightlifting and would like to be involved in the sport somehow. Not really sure how to make that happen. Not really interested in competing, too dumb to be a coach, so am actually considering, perhaps, maybe, becoming a judge.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 pm

allPrimes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:32 amAnother new back squat PR @8 for me yesterday, hitting 290lbs. Peanuts for some people here but for an old fat guy who just wants to hit three plates, I'll take a third PR in as many weeks!
Congrats on the PR!

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:06 am

Renascent wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 pm Congrats on the PR!
Thanks! Hoping for more over the course of this year, too.

Just wrapped up my first week of a 8 days of workouts, easing into some hybrid training. I've been spending the last few weeks doing some serious learning on programming from a knowledgeable friend and discovering that when left to my own devices, I make things WAY too complicated. So, a reset in Occam's Razor and some conversations with someone more knowledgeable than me and I have a great outline that I get to fill. In the meantime, I ran an eight-day split this past week and frankly, I feel great. Rather than running (or cycling) as much as I should have, I swapped in some rowing in place of the cardio, but still, feeling good.

Also, that MG bar just hits different while benching. BB benching and I feel it right where my torso and shoulders meet. With the MG bar, I'm feeling it. more interior, almost adjacent to my sternum.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:24 am

Still cruising on 8 on/1 off for now, but added box jumps ("more knee bendy; less hip bendy" was a solid comment) and single leg box step-up thingies this week. Also did some running intervals for the first time in a long while. Wow. Those things are challenging! It's a different kind of leg sore but oddly, delicious.

The thing I'm noticing these days is that I'm always LOOKING FORWARD to what's coming next. This is my second week of this kind of basic training, but wow am I enjoying thinking about "I get to bench tomorrow!" or "I get to do running intervals tomorrow!" In all honestly, it's reminiscent of how I felt a few months after I quit smoking and was really excited about running.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 am

In the middle of a third cycle of 8 on/1 off right now until the weather warms up a bit. It's surprisingly a great way to do a lot of shit and not feel all that beat up. For example, I squatted on Sunday, long row on Monday (easy z2), benched Tuesday, intervals Wed, deadlifted Thur, and I fucking feel great. I mean, a bit tight and sore here and there, but beyond that, really fucking great. Also, increased eating to about 2600 cals/day as I felt like my weight wasn't going down like I should and perhaps I need to be eating more? We'll see.

Really looking forward to spring and cycling and hiking. Even considering signing up for my first mtn bike race. WOuldn't that be a hoot.