OG Log...

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Testiclaw

OG Log...

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 am

Where to start...

I was a sponsored, competitive powerlifter back in the day, and then, suffice to say, life kicked me in the balls and derailed my plans.

Now I own a gym, and have just started training again. I've squatted seven-hundred in a meet, and now I struggle with one-thirty-five...

...nowhere to go but up, right?

This is my log, training, improving, trying to be dedicated while I train a handful of competitive weightlifters.

Be gentle?

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Re: OG Log...

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 am

Looking forward to following your Log.

Life is extremely capable in the Ball-Kicking Department! :)

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 am Looking forward to following your Log.

Life is extremely capable in the Ball-Kicking Department! :)
Ha! The only balls I'm kicking are my own!

I was a sponsored powerlifter back in the day, but these days I'm just an old man with semi-respectable lifts! My last meet was two Septembers ago, I went 4-something in the squat, 3-thirty-something in the bench, and 6-something in the deadlift, which wasn't bad considering I only squatted the five weeks prior to the meet.

These days I'm a fragile little snowflake! I have three more weeks left in my GPP phase, then I'll get into my strength phase. The life of a coach means training is often interrupted, it's never on the right days, and most of my training is done in the late evening after all of my athletes are finished training.

BUT, despite that, I'm committed!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 am

This will be interesting and exciting!

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 am

mgil wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 am This will be interesting and exciting!
Eh, not too exciting. I just use basic, simple programming from either BBM or a close friend because I'm too mentally exhausted to do my own programming after programming for a dozen of my athletes.

Everybody who trains in my gym gets custom, individualized programming...except me: I outsource that because I don't have any capacity to figure things out for myself after all of the adjustments that happen in a given week.

deant

Post by deant » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am

Testiclaw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 am The life of a coach means training is often interrupted, it's never on the right days, and most of my training is done in the late evening after all of my athletes are finished training.
I find this very interesting. Disclaimer, I've never coached anyone or owned a gym so the life is foreign to me. That said, I'm interested if it would be possible/professionally acceptable to find a lifter that you really connect with on a personal level and provide programming for them in trade for a training partner.

Thanks for posting a log. I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:27 am

deant wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am
Testiclaw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 am The life of a coach means training is often interrupted, it's never on the right days, and most of my training is done in the late evening after all of my athletes are finished training.
I find this very interesting. Disclaimer, I've never coached anyone or owned a gym so the life is foreign to me. That said, I'm interested if it would be possible/professionally acceptable to find a lifter that you really connect with on a personal level and provide programming for them in trade for a training partner.

Thanks for posting a log. I'll enjoy watching your progress.
I think it's possible, but being in my own gym, with my own equipment, is something I really enjoy, and the prospect of including someone during my own time to train is downright terrifying.

I haven't updated this log because an adjacent unit let their bathroom pipes freeze and it ruptured the water main, so my gym has been closed while it's fixed.

I'm not sure, but I think this is why people murder each other. It drives me up the fucking wall, but it's our of my control.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 am

I knew this would be interesting and exciting!

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Right?

It's fixed, now. So we'll open up shop on Monday.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 am

So this has already been a shitshow...

But I'm getting back into training tomorrow, and for now my goals are to bench 315 and pull over 500 while weighing 175 or less!

What about squatting, you ask?

FUCK IT. My knees hurt and whatnot, so I'll settle for benching and pulling at a reduced bodyweight!

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:42 am

Well...this log has been a fucking gigantic disappointment.

I'm going to log my running (don't laugh) on the air runner, and some of my basic KB work.

It's a weird spot to find myself, but I don't really want to do anything, however I also know I need to do something.

It's going to be a very lackluster log of a fatty jogging, doing KB work, and slowly allowing the universe to provide me with motivation and direction.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:48 am

To-Do List/Priorities;

1. Vitamins, supplements, medications
2. Limit alcohol to Saturdays and Saturdays only
3. Stick to planned macros & meal planning
4. No more pain pills, opiates, or benzodiazepines

5. Walk...run...do something
6. Find some kind of training that can be done in a progressive way, and stick with it
7. Disregard reputation and any sense of "wanting to belong" and instead make sure my lifters are prepped and ready to compete on the national and (one day...international...) stage.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:39 am

I saw your IG post of you in the hospital bed.

Whatever happened, you've clearly done very well to overcome it.
Your lifters are fortunate to have you guiding them.

Just don't murder anyone, ok? ; )

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:54 am

That “do something” aspect is important. I need to do more of it and weights aren’t cutting it.

Keep on keeping on.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Okay. So. This log started with an abysmal failure on my part to, you know, log.

Here's where we're at;

I'm dropping weight. So far it's a touch over 40lbs, I'd like to drop another 40 or so.

I'm doing cardio for feel-good-ness and heart health.

I'm slowly trying to incorporate leg work and squatting again. Starting with a box and tiny numbers, SSB, and going from there.

I'm slowly trying to incorporate benching again. Starting with football bar work once a week and a ton of push-ups, and going from there.

I'm dealing with an aggravated forearm...the same one I've torn three times. I use straps for a lot which sucks because I love stupid grip shit and big forearms are cool.

This will be my log chronicling "unfatfucking myself" and being "not weak". My strong days are long, long, loooooong gone. I just want "okay" now.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm

60:00 assault runner, nasal breathing. 3.07 miles.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Setup is like this;

Monday:
Fasted cardio with ephedra and yohimbine.

Knee prehab
Squat
Abs
Neck

Tuesday:

Shoulder prehab
Bench
Push-ups
DB rows
Neck

Wednesday:

Mobility

Thursday:
DL
Abs
Sled
Neck
Forearm prehab

Alcohol

Friday:

Mobility

Saturday:

Shoulder prehab
Pulldowns
Rows
Push-ups
Curls
Neck

Alcohol

---

I prefer higher frequency work, and generally train my lifters with higher frequencies (especially weightlifters). I just can't fucking make it work for myself. I thrive on low frequency, so that's where we're at.

Ideally I can get to benching twice a week and squatting/pulling twice a week with variations.

Other than the ephedra and yohimbine and caffeine, I've bumped up my TRT to 150mg a week (usually 125mg), so things are getting pretty fucking serious.

I've finally decided to start training my spouse, which means I will be drinking a lot. Never train your wives. If you have to, drink a lot and keep your goddamn mouth shut and remember the shit you throw at them in the gym follows you home so be nice.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am

Testiclaw wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm I've finally decided to start training my spouse...
In the ranking of all the stupid things you've done, I've done, and everyone else who reads this has done, I gotta say this one ranks up there. As a wise man once said,

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm

alek wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am
Testiclaw wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm I've finally decided to start training my spouse...
In the ranking of all the stupid things you've done, I've done, and everyone else who reads this has done, I gotta say this one ranks up there. As a wise man once said,
She's a beast, and can be amazing...I just tend to avoid it because of two big factors:

I'm empathetic to her and sometimes that clouds my judgement for how hard to push her.

And...

...remembering that whatever goes on in the gym I'll bring home with us, so I don't get to crack the whip the same way as I do with everybody else.

But...it's worth it because she needs to pull over 500 in just a belt.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 pm

TKE's and Peterson Step-ups with band.

DL
315 (double overhand, no hook)
445 x 1
395 x 5
370 x 5 x 3 sets

Sled:
45 x 1 trip
90 x 1 trip
115 x 1 trip
140 x 3 trips
Took 14:01

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 10

Sidebends on Belt Squat
85 x 8, 10, 12 / side

Neck Harness
40 x 10 x 3 sets

Neck Flexion
Wrap + 5lb x 10
Wrap + 10lb x 10, 10, 10, 10

Tempo Wrist Extensions
5lb x 10, 10, 10, 10

CoC Grippers
G x 10, 10
S x 10, 10

So knee junk, then pulling, then sled and tummy, and of course neck, and more forearm rehab work.

It's exciting.