JoeLiftsWeights Training Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

JoeLiftsWeights

Re: JoeLiftsWeights Training Log

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:47 am

No problem @dcw. Here is something that I wrote a few months ago:

I am a firefighter. My work schedule is 24 on and 48 off. Due to this schedule I occasionally have to train at the firehouse in order to complete all of my workouts for the week. Training in the firehouse weight room can be difficult because workouts are frequently interrupted by 1 or 2 runs, but it is always a lot of fun. It’s good times to hang out and talk with the boys between sets, especially since I usually train in my garage gym with my 7 month old son these days. My boy is a great training partner, but he usually poops his pants, needs a bottle of milk, and has to be put down for a nap before I can finish my volume squats. I am not saying that we don’t have these same issues at the firehouse, but at least Archibald can wipe his own ass, and Meat can toddle off to his bunk when he gets fussy.

We have a good group of lifters at the fire station. I do my strength lifting, Carter is a Crossfitter, Meat is an Olympic weightlifter, and Chief Clark is a lifelong lifter, well versed in every training methodology from Starting Strength to 5/3/1 to Westside. Captain Sam exercises for health and general fitness. His workout consists of a sampling of the basic barbell lifts, bodybuilding, and Crossfit. Somehow we all manage to train and coexist in the same weight room. Each man trains however they like to train. The only goal is to be a strong capable member of the team. That being said, it is still fun to agitate one another, engage in epic gym bro discussions on training methodologies, and occasionally learn something from each other.

I remember one afternoon Captain Sam and I were lifting together. I racked my last set of squats, sat down on the bench, took off my knee sleeves, and I was just fixing to get ready to do my presses when I noticed this odd rhythmical breathing coming from the direction of the dumbbell rack. To my great dismay, I looked up to see Cap waving a pair of 5 lb. dumbbells around like they were pompoms. Cap bore witness as my visage transitioned from a look of consternation to my signature head shake of exasperation. He asked me “What? What’s wrong?” I asked him, “Just what are you hoping to accomplish by waving those little 5 lb. weights around?” Sam went on to explain to me that he had injured his shoulder several years ago and that a physical therapist had given him a long list of stretches and exercises to perform with light weights in order rehabilitate and strengthen all of the little muscles of his shoulders. I in turn went on to explain to him that if I were him, seeing as he now had full range of motion with no pain in his shoulders, I would learn how to do strict barbell presses in order to get stronger and reduce the chances of future injury. I briefly summarized the concept of the stress, recovery, adaptation cycle and concluded by saying, “You can wave those little 5 lb. dumbbells around for 100s of reps in every possible direction, but that’s all those shoulders of yours will be able to lift.” In short, despite my blunt tactless effort to persuade him to another course of action, Cap was unmoved. He said that doing things his way was working just fine, I said OK, and we let it go at that.

Now the very next morning we were all busy at work doing morning clean up (at the end of each 24 hour shift fire crews clean the station and trucks in preparation for the oncoming shift). I was mopping the kitchen floor when I heard a grunt of exertion coming from the direction of the kitchen pantry. I looked up from the task at hand and to my great delight I saw Cap standing there struggling to tear a heavy black garbage bag from its roll. I said, “Huh, that must be a 6 lb. test.” Cap proceeded to laugh his ass off and acknowledged that I just might have a point.

Shortly after that little episode, Cap asked me to teach him the 4 main lifts. He is in his early 50s, 5’ 10” tall, weighs 190 lb. and is in good shape from doing CrossFit style exercise. I put him on a linear progression training every third day (he only lifts at work). I started him out with light weights and progressed more slowly than necessary entirely because he was deathly afraid of injuring his back. So he isn’t doing the program, but even when imperfectly applied, the program will yield results if you work hard. Last shift after benching 217.5x5x3, Sam marveled at the fact that he is stronger now than he has ever been. He has made tremendous progress. The same man that used to think that deadlifting 225 would cause his spinal vertebrae to spontaneously combust, was walking tall because he pulled 280x5. Cap asked me what just I thought about that. I said, “Well, my wife can deadlift 300x3x2. So you’re not quite fit to carry her sports bra just yet, but you’re doing alright. We’ll get you there.”

Disclaimer: the names of the individuals portrayed in this story have been changed in order to protect the guilty, but they know who they are and what they did.

dcw

Post by dcw » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 pm

That's an awesome write up! I want to come train in your station. I'll live up to my stereotype and bring donuts!

As an aside, I think it's awesome that your command staff ("Chief" and "Cap") keeps themselves in good physical shape in some way; it truly makes a difference for the culture (in terms of fitness) of the department. I see it first hand with the Fire Department in our city, and it's something I envy and wish the PD had. For example, the Fire Chief in our city demonstrates the CPAT to potential fire recruits; I think that speaks volumes!

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:22 pm

That's great!

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Bench 317.5x3,3,2 (racked it after 2nd rep of 3rd set because something felt off)
Press (1.5) 200x5x5

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Press 235x3x3
Bench 250x5x5

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 pm

I tweaked my right pec last week on my intensity bench day by allowing my elbows to flare out. Tomorrow I going to keep them in tight. The weight will be determined by how my pec feels. I have found now that I am 32 that I need to control the weights much more. The days of violently throwing the weights around with reckless abandon seem to be over.

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Everything went better than I expected it to. I didn't have any pain whatsoever. I paid particular attention to staying tight and controlling the weight.

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 pm

JoeLiftsWeights

Post by JoeLiftsWeights » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Easy day out in the garage gym. I am very happy that I have my appetite back.