back on my bullshit (that is, running a program)

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

rjharris

Re: back on my bullshit (that is, running a program)

Post by rjharris » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:10 am

tuesday, 4 april, 2023
---------------------------

am bw: 163.9

bench: {225, 230} x 1 + 205 x 3 x 4, 4 <-- 4th was @10 so i didn't try for 5.
pullups: bw + 65 x 9 x 3, 11 <-- fine

rdls: 225 x 9 x 3, 16 <-- had some left hamstring tightness or cramping or s/t on the first set that kind of lingered. seems to be something of a recurring issue. it's about 2/3 of the way from the hip to the knee. doesn't feel particularly localized left/right. i'll have to keep an eye on it.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:15 am

thursday, 6 april, 2023
---------------------------

am bw: 163.3

dips: bw + 55 x 9 x 3, 11
dl: 415 x 1, 435 x 1, 415 x 0f

my left hamstring is still kind of fucky. i wanted to do a single at 455 but given how 435 felt, that wasn't happening, so i went down to do my volume work and that didn't happen either. i think it's a combination of the chronic deficit ( ut is now finally impacting things in a substantial way), acute deficit (i think i probably underate yesterday by more than usual), and my hamstring. that's fine, i'll nurse it for a couple days and come back next week. chins later

chins: bw + 75 x 9 x 3, 10

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:51 am

whatever momentum i had built up completely stopped and probably reversed the week prior to and following easter due to (a) hamstring fuckiness and (b) getting a 5 day long stomach bug that had me pissing out my ass and vomiting like 5 separate times on easter night and lingered for days afterwards. so that's great. anyway, obviously the previous block is dead and buried, so i have to come up with some new shit. i have some thoughts.

i am now hovering at just around the goal weight i had (160). going to wait until i hit it in my running avg in macrofactor prior to upping the calories to maintenance. in the meantime, i'm going to be fucking around mostly and experimenting with stuff to see what i want to do for my next block. i have the dia del dildo (lol) strongman comp the weekend after this one, and, honestly, i'm not ready, but who gives a shit, it's going to be fun as hell to be flinging a giant dick around etc and i'm going to be 60 lbs under the weight class cutoff anyway, so i was never going to do that great.

what lies ahead in the coming months is (a) i want to do the garage gym competition in mid may. my numbers are not going to be good, but i want to get something on the board so that i have a baseline and (b) i have vague thoughts about doing a strongman comp in kalamazoo in august. my wife might also be doing that one. the events in the latter event for my likely division are a yoke carry (600 lbs, ugh), axle c/p (200 lbs, ugh), lever dl, a keg toss, and a carry medley. it's going to be challenging to get to comp weights for me, but i can maybe get it done. i'll probably assess 4 weeks out and see.

anyway, for now, i'm organizing my training by borrowing from alrushe's idea of giant sets, except minus the hard conditioning at the beginning. so, 1-2 giant sets per workout, for agonist/antagonist movements + some core work with minimal rest (90 seconds-ish after each cycle through) and then a strongman-ish conditioning bit at the end. i'm doing an intro week (probably week and a half given my schedule) before jumping into a block so that i can work out kinks and see how it's going to work.

anyway, i was *gassed* at the end of this workout, despite the weights feeling (and being) light.

27 april 2023
-----------------

Am BW: 160.7 lbs (s k i n n y b o i)

Warmup

1km row in 3:59

Superset block one

Planks x 1 min
Side planks x 30 sec
High bar squat. 185 x 5
Ghr x some (8, 7, 5, 4)

Repeat 4 times with 90 sec rest in between then a 5th squat set at the end.

Superset block two

Pullups x bw x 10
Ghd situps x bw x 10
Close grip bench. 145 x 7
Facepulls x 30 x 10

Same as above with squat replaced by cg bench.

Conditioning

100 lb sandbag to shoulder x 2 reps per side EMOM for 3 rounds.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:33 pm

after a bout of norovirus that was the sickest i have ever been in my life by far (different from the thing in the prior post!), dealing with my wife's absences both physically and mentally because of her strongman training, as well as a back tweak that was long lasting and somewhat excruciating, i am back to training somewhat normally.

i had planned on doing a strongman comp in august, but someone in my church died, i feel compelled to attend the funeral, and it's that day, so no dice. this means i don't have a structured focus for what i'm training for now, which is fine. i will probably try to carry forward with the general template i had prior. tweaks are mostly motivated by the desire to incorporate some "pre-hab" stuff (thanks back tweak) and to use the equipment at the pl gym my wife and i got memberships to.

i am trying to bulk, but also doing some cardio [incline walking rn mostly] because i want to eat *a lot* and also avoid totally fat fucking myself. at the tail end of my attempt to get down below 160, my expenditure took a fuckin dive. this was about when i got norovirus, and so i wasn't able to go to the gym, the cardio i was doing didn't get picked back up, and the expenditure fell by just about 6-700 calories (3200 -> 2550 or so) within about 3 weeks. wild shit. now that i am doing it again, i'm sitting at about 2800, eating about 2900. tempted to see how far i can crank it (within reason)

monday, 26 june, 2023
----------------------------

am bw: 161.2

prehabby / stretch stuff

deadhangs: bw + 35 x 1 min x 3
planks: bw + 45 x 1 min x 3
side planks: bw x 1 min / side x 3 [during squats]
banded clamshells: 3 x 10 / side

lower body work

high bar sq: 280 x 1 + 215 , 5 x 4, 15
glute ham raise: (bw) x 15, 11, 9, 8
ghd situps (i guess lower body since hip flexors, but also abs?): bw + 15 x 15 x 3

upper body work

close grip bench: 135 x 12 x 3, 17
chinups: bw + 25 x 12 x 3, 18
tricep pushdowns: 80 x 15 x 3
facepulls: 120 x 15 x 3 (no idea if i'm doing these right)

conditioning work

sandbag over shoulder: 100 lbs x 4 reps per side x 5 rounds EMOM (had time to do more, but i had only planned on 5 as i did 4 last week so that was an easy out)