A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 14, 2024 1:43 am

Week five of the holding pattern, and adapting as I go

Pushups with dead stop at bottom supersetted with pull aparts
5x10x44 lbs/15

It was that or nothing, and TBH wasn't bad. Doing the pushups like that makes them feel very similar to dead bench off pins, except with bench I don't have a puppy trying to eat my moustache.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun May 19, 2024 1:08 pm

I should start calling this phase holding on with my fingernails pattern. Didn't train this week other than those pushups. Intended to this weekend but refinished our dining table and that took way more energy and time than I expected, plus fried my shoulders.

Turns out four straight hours on an orbital sander isn't exactly easy when you're removing finish.

This week might be more of the same, because we get keys on Thursday and then the work really starts.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sun May 19, 2024 1:22 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:08 pm I should start calling this phase holding on with my fingernails pattern. Didn't train this week other than those pushups. Intended to this weekend but refinished our dining table and that took way more energy and time than I expected, plus fried my shoulders.

Turns out four straight hours on an orbital sander isn't exactly easy when you're removing finish.

This week might be more of the same, because we get keys on Thursday and then the work really starts.
You don’t sound at all unhappy about it, and that’s great. If ever there was something more worth one’s energy and pride than the gym, this is it. The weights still will be there after.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sun May 19, 2024 8:35 pm

Congratulations in advance on closing the deal! Manage the stress as well as you can, and enjoy the best of the experience.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon May 20, 2024 1:42 am

DanCR wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:22 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:08 pm I should start calling this phase holding on with my fingernails pattern. Didn't train this week other than those pushups. Intended to this weekend but refinished our dining table and that took way more energy and time than I expected, plus fried my shoulders.

You don’t sound at all unhappy about it, and that’s great. If ever there was something more worth one’s energy and pride than the gym, this is it. The weights still will be there after.
I'm not. I'm too excited. Plus, there's a gym right downstairs from the apartment that I'll join it it's cheap just for the ease of access once we're settled in.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon May 27, 2024 2:46 am

Still around, I did swing by the gym last Thursday and did some DB flys and pull aparts but nothing that I would qualify as training. Stopped short of doing any work sets. I wasn't focused, just too caught up with the apartment but not in a bad way at all.

Been at the new place four days straight, having the time of my life. I'm exhausted though 😅

I'm glad I arranged to take some time off work to do everything.

Actually, I say I haven't trained but I'm going to say painting ceilings is delt training. Just putting that out there.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 28, 2024 1:28 am

Spent today learning the hard way that, one, you should read safety data sheets before using adhesives in an enclosed pace; and two, why the safety data sheet for the flooring adhesive unequivocally states you must wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue May 28, 2024 5:34 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:28 am Spent today learning the hard way that, one, you should read safety data sheets before using adhesives in an enclosed pace; and two, why the safety data sheet for the flooring adhesive unequivocally states you must wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area.
Shit, you ok?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 28, 2024 8:43 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:28 am Spent today learning the hard way that, one, you should read safety data sheets before using adhesives in an enclosed pace; and two, why the safety data sheet for the flooring adhesive unequivocally states you must wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area.
Does this mean you really had a good time, or burned your lungs?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 28, 2024 10:23 pm

DanCR wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:34 am
Shit, you ok?
Luckily, yes. Yesterday evening was rough though. I'm not smart

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:43 am
Does this mean you really had a good time, or burned your lungs?
I definitely didn't have a really good time. Not sure about my lungs, but I ended up with a splitting headache and felt sick in my stomach. I'm going to guess that my liver took the brunt of it from what little I know of toxicology.

Was back at it today, but brought my old respirator and it made the world of difference.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 28, 2024 10:32 pm

Flouting OH&S requirements aside, work is progressing well.

I even had time today to check out the gym that is about 100 m down the road from our new building. It's part of the same chain I'm a member of as my backup gym, so I figured I'd see if I could transfer my membership across.

The way things are going training immediately after work is no longer feasible, which means a gym at or very near home is my best bet so I can train in the evening after coming home.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting much so it was a very pleasant surprise to find it as well equipped a commercial gym as you could reasonably hope to find.

Apartment works should be complete by Sunday, and we move the following weekend so in two weeks I will be able to start training properly again.

It's a relief, because I was genuinely concerned how I was going to manage any meaningful training going forward.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:43 am

Hit a wall today, which I think has to be something to do with it being the 12th straight day I've been working; nine of those have been at the apartment. Glad I had the foresight to take some time off work, which I extended somewhat I have to confess. I'm also starting a new job the week after we move. I've never been approached with an offer before, but I was and it was a little too good to refuse after going and talking to them. Back to doing commercial joinery, which I've always enjoyed because I prefer large scale work like multi-level office fitouts. Decent pay rise too, around five per cent. My current employer did not take the news well at all and has been kind of a dick about it so I have zero qualms about extending my time off to work on the apartment.

Just got the lower level to paint and then silicone, a couple of curtains and blinds to put back up and bar bringing our stuff in and assembling some new furniture the work is done. Might not be complete by Sunday, but end of Monday is non negotiable because the carpet gets laid on Tuesday. It's the one aspect we're paying someone to do because I have zero idea how to lay carpet.

Which means I can start thinking about training again. Might even be able to get some in next week, if nothing else than to blow out the cobwebs for the week after when I intend to go back full steam.

This holding pattern was a bit of an eye opener in terms of how I can lay my training out so I think I'm just going to build on that and move away from the classic S/B/D mentality I'd used previously.

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

Monday shoulders, upper and mid back
Tuesday biceps, triceps
Wednesday quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back
Thursday biceps, triceps
Friday pecs, upper and mid back

If that doesn't address my upper vs lower imbalance, I'm not sure what will. Plus it'll mean I can really hammer my legs in one session which I've always liked.

Progression will be super simple double progression combined with simply feeling it out. I want to have a good two sets of everything that are at 1-0 RIR at all times. I'll be looking to limit things to four or five exercises per session, for time as well as so I have to pick well

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:20 am

Congrats on the new job!

Very interested to see your results from this split. It’s gonna be fun.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:55 am

DanCR wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:20 am Congrats on the new job!

Very interested to see your results from this split. It’s gonna be fun.
Thanks.

Getting back to the gym alone will be fun, but it's definitely time I do something to focus on gaining muscle.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Carpet is getting installed today, so apart from letting the guys in and dropping a couple of things off I took it easy today. Which means I went to the gym down the road.

DB fly supersetted with rear delt fly
10×22 lbs/10×22 lbs
10×34 lbs/10×31 lbs
10×48 lbs/10×31 lbs
10×57 lbs/10×31 lbs
12, 4, 4×44 lbs/10×31 lbs

Smith machine guillotine press supersetted with seal rows
10×22 lbs/10×22 lbs
10×110 lbs/10×110 lbs
10×154 lbs/10×110 lbs

Seal rows really aren't for me. Glad I tried it out, but it just confirms that so far no matter what setup they're just not an exercise I find useful. Guillotine press however, different. The Smith is odd to press on but not in a bad way.

Felt good to go back

houzi

Post by houzi » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:16 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:43 am Decent pay rise too, around five per cent. My current employer did not take the news well at all and has been kind of a dick about it so I have zero qualms about extending my time off to work on the apartment.

I never understand this from employers. I am working in exchange for pay, so is everyone else. If I can get paid more for similar hours/effort then im taking that job. Want me to stay? Pay me more money.

Good to see things are going well for you though!

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:21 am

houzi wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:16 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:43 am Decent pay rise too, around five per cent. My current employer did not take the news well at all and has been kind of a dick about it so I have zero qualms about extending my time off to work on the apartment.

I never understand this from employers. I am working in exchange for pay, so is everyone else. If I can get paid more for similar hours/effort then im taking that job. Want me to stay? Pay me more money.

Good to see things are going well for you though!
This is the first time it's happened to me. Plus, I was very clear about why I was leaving: it's an opportunity to learn things I wouldn't at my current job. I specifically told him if it was just about money I'd have given him a number I wanted to stay. I found out a couple of days later he told one of my colleagues who I'm mates with he was concerned that I was spreading toxic thoughts because we chat after work before leaving most days.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:35 am

We've moved in and life is returning to normal.

On reflection, I decided that five day idea was only good on paper. The holding pattern with a few tweaks will likely be much better in practice

Week 1, day A

DB flys supersetted with rear delt flys
10×22lbs/10×27 lbs
10×31 lbs/10×31 lbs
10×44 lbs/10×31 lbs
3×10×58 lbs/3×10×31 lbs

Smith machine guillotine press supersetted with close grip lat pulldown
3×8×154 lbs/3×8×176 lbs

Tricep pushdown supersetted with pullups
3×10×38 lbs/3×5

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:42 am

Glad to hear that all is settled, and to see you back.