Experiments in High-Volume, Low-Fatigue Bench Programming (more "Montana Method" nonsense)

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Experiments in High-Volume, Low-Fatigue Bench Programming (more "Montana Method" nonsense)

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

For the past couple of months, I've been playing around with very high volume (but low fatigue) bench sessions. While I've been quite pleased with the hypertrophy (it is a hypertrophy block after all), I'm quite surprised by the increase in peak-strength (hit a lifetime PR primarily training with sub 70% loads and no peak...not expected).

Anyway, if you want to try out an extreme version of "Montana Method" for bench...try building a bench cycle using the sessions and tricep assistance recommended below. It's ridiculously simple, but quite a departure from commonly used set and rep formats.

Bench Sessions:

Session 1:

7-11 sets of 7 with 65% (scale session volume to work capacity and recovery abilities...I think you should push for [but not exceed] max inter-session recoverable volume)

Using the "fatigue metric calculator"...you get approximately:

7x7 (lowish) = 400

9x7 (medium)= ~500

11x7 (very high) = 600+

Session 2:

7-11 sets of 5 with 70%

Session 3:

8-16 reps at/above 85%+ in singles and doubles

Tricep Assistance Movements (because the main bench sessions involve low fatigue sets with lots of fast reps...you really need tricep assistance to sufficiently train triceps, as they'll be deloaded in the latter portion of the ROM via momentum from the initial propulsion phase of the bench):

I like:

- dips
- band or cable tricep pushdowns
- LTEs/Pullovers

To get assistance volume, I like
a) 8-10 minute density blocks
b) modified myo format (take a first set to @7-8ish, rest 45-60 seconds, then perform mini-sets to @7-8ish every 45-60 seconds until you drop 25-30% of the reps from the initial "mini-set"). You can push the RPEs higher on the myo stuff if you want...but - personally - if I push RPE too hard on tricep work my elbows start getting pissy.

Building a Cycle:

Lots of options. I'm simply alternating 65% and 70% sessions every 48-72 hours. Every 2-4 weeks, I'll be doing the heavy session. Just build the "cycle" to suit your schedule using the sessions above (I'd recommend sessions every 48-72 hours). I'd recommend that you consider doing the heavy session only once every 2-4 weeks (it's quite fatiguing and can be disruptive if hypertrophy is your goal).

Progression:

Again, lots of options.

If you can progress linearly, keeping load-increment apace with strength gains, then by all means do so. I'm currently adding about 1-2% every session, ensuring bar speeds stay consistent from session-to-session. But you could add an arbitrary 1% load every 2 weeks and simply repeat sessions for two weeks.

Forum member @tdood is autoregulating weekly load based on a weekly @8 single. His week looks like this
M: 1@8, find e1rm, [hanley edit: 8-10 total reps in doubles or singles] @85% some reps paused.

W: 65%x7x7

F: 70%x5x7

I’m doing 3 sets of band tricep extensions (12-15 reps) after each workout.

I’m basing all work off of my 1@8 on Mondays, and hoping to see this, and thus all weights, increasing week to week.
I can't detail the fundementals and tricks of testing strength levels and matching progression...but most methods of progressing load should work fine.

Anyway, if you're bored or bench has stagnated...maybe give it a try.
Last edited by Hanley on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Experiments in High-Volume, Low-Fatigue Bench Programming

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 am

What do you think about throwing in 1-3 singles w/ slingshot, using current e1RM weight, on the heavy day?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am

This reminds me of my "30 min, as many reps as possible" program, except without a bonkers load progression that leads to confusing undertraining.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 am

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 am What do you think about throwing in 1-3 singles w/ slingshot, using current e1RM weight, on the heavy day?
Sure. I don't think it could hurt anything. Personally, after lifting the PR rep yesterday, I was thinking I could really use some slingshot work. The 90%+ load reps felt freaky/alien (which is to be expected randomly cranking out a single in the middle of a hypertrophy block...but still, I didn't like the feelz of "heavy").

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 am
TimK wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 am What do you think about throwing in 1-3 singles w/ slingshot, using current e1RM weight, on the heavy day?
Sure. I don't think it could hurt anything. Personally, after lifting the PR rep yesterday, I was thinking I could really use some slingshot work. The 90%+ load reps felt freaky/alien (which is to be expected randomly cranking out a single in the middle of a hypertrophy block...but still, I didn't like the feelz of "heavy").
Yeah, I was thinking it would be good for "getting used to the weight".

cgeorg

Re: Experiments in High-Volume, Low-Fatigue Bench Programming (more "Montana Method" nonsense)

Post by cgeorg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 am

FWIW I jumped into this with 11 sets of 7 at around 62.5%, on 90s rest, might have actually done 12 sets, and the last set was still fast. If you've been Montanaing for a while you can probably handle a lot of sets.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Experiments in High-Volume, Low-Fatigue Bench Programming (more "Montana Method" nonsense)

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 am

Any thoughts on just doing the 85% stuff once in a 4 session week instead of dips?

I have sawhorses i could use for dips, but they are wide tops.
For better or (probably) worse, i am also not jazzed about adding any exercises.
I already work to fit in my pullups.

ETA- I'm already really used to hitting a top single before all my worksets.
It's only 8 more heavy-ish reps in a week (last warmup counted), but that plus the 85% days might do until i finish the block.

My compliance is excellent at this point, and i want to keep my enjoyment and enthusiasm high.
I'm already pissed off just thinking about adding dips. :D
Last edited by Wilhelm on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:09 am

Ah, I saw the teaser posted on the gram and thought about creating a thread to ask you about it. Glad you made one.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 am Any thoughts on just doing the 85% stuff once in a 4 session week instead of dips?

I have sawhorses i could use for dips, but they are wide tops.
For better or (probably) worse, i am also not jazzed about adding any exercises.
I already work to fit in my pullups.

ETA- I'm already really used to hitting a top single before all my worksets.
It's only 8 more heavish reps in a week (last warmup counted), but that plus the 85% days might do until i finish the block.
Maybe make one of the sessions a slingshot session (or board press)? Those movements should sufficiently work the triceps without overworking the pecs.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 am

Close grip perhaps? I could do that.

I see the point now, of not overworking the pecs with all the volume they will already be handling.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 am Close grip perhaps? I could do that.

I see the point now, of not overworking the pecs with all the volume they will already be handling.
Close-grip still whacks the hell out of the pecs shows similar muscle activation as standard grip in both pectoralis major sternocostal and clavicular parts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5504579/

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am

A board would not be hard for me to figure out. Two liter bottle inside my shirt perhaps.
Just took me a second.
Thanks, Hanley.

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 am

I might implement this- I was doing a linear progression to get back to old strength levels, but now I'm back on a rather grueling Olympic program and that's just not happening.

I'm thinking I may be able to get most of my tricep assistance via the Olympic lifts themselves, and programmed push presses (which are basically a tricep exercise)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am A board would not be hard for me to figure out. Two liter bottle inside my shirt perhaps.
Just took me a second.
Thanks, Hanley.
Wrap a wrist wrap around the middle of the bar.
Two wrist wraps is a two-board press.
@Cody says so.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am A board would not be hard for me to figure out. Two liter bottle inside my shirt perhaps.
Just took me a second.
Thanks, Hanley.
Maybe a pin bench instead?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Both of those suggestions seem better than stuffing a bottle in my shirt. :D
Might just alternate the two. I have the 24' wrist wraps, so i'll have to see if they are adequate.
Thanks, guys.

Skid

Post by Skid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Just stuff a 2x4 or two into your shirt (actually works well). You might want to sand it so you don't get slivers :lol:

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm in no way disputing your results (in fact I'm very intrigued by them) But I do not understand how this works. I am trying to wrap my head around it.
It seems to go against so much that we think we know. Powerlifting/Strength is low rep stuff ie; singles/triples/fives at a high % of 1RM. Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy is usually 3 sets of 8-12, and often multiple different exercises of those 3 sets per body part at a lower % of 1RM.
You seem to be working at a similar percentage of 1RM that bodybuilders use. Reps per set is between what powerlifters and bodybuilders use. Total reps at first seems much higher than bodybuilder style, but if you factor in they usually add incline, decline, dips, flys etc their overall volume is probably higher.
What you're doing is different from bodybuilding style programming but it seems to be closer to bodybuilding than powerlifting.
What have you done Mr Hanley? Have you found some previously undiscovered magic sweetspot? And if so, how has this eluded so many for so long?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 pm

^better question than this one, but i hope to wrap up this tangent.

@Hanley, so board press to save the pecs, and the goal is a heavier session for the triceps.
Would then a close grip board press be the way to go to help increase the tricep work?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 pmWould then a close grip board press be the way to go to help increase the tricep work?
I don't think grip width makes any difference in terms of stimulating the triceps. Either grip should be fine.