Thoughts on peaking-1st timer

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Skid

Re: Thoughts on peaking-1st timer

Post by Skid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Glad I could help! Still think your last deadlift should be 10-14 days out. Us older guys need more recovery than the younger guys. I've always surprised myself at how much easier a deadlift feels in comp after a 10-14 days rest.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Skid wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm Glad I could help! Still think your last deadlift should be 10-14 days out. Us older guys need more recovery than the younger guys. I've always surprised myself at how much easier a deadlift feels in comp after a 10-14 days rest.
I'm just now getting used to what heavy is for me in the deadlift. I neglected it over the summer trying different things while not moving to alternating grip.
Went to hook and could finally hold on to the bar and started moving the weight up.

What i could do is after the 1rm test on Dec 9th, is squeeze an extra DL session in that first week while the percentages are low and then i could still follow my full ten week cycle and also move that last 90%x1 95%X1 90%X1 day further out from the meet.

I could be sure to go light squats and add the extra DL on a regular squat day.

Thanks again. : )

*Adding this. Just pulled 375 for 5 singles saturday. I am getting into a range where my response to this stress (along with squats getting heavier too) is more serious.
Based on how i feel today, I think your advice is spot on for near the meet regarding deadlift.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm on GSLP as well, and I've got a meet December 9th. I'm doing some singles and doubles after my main work the way JP describes in the book; I'll let you know how it goes.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:17 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm I'm on GSLP as well, and I've got a meet December 9th. I'm doing some singles and doubles after my main work the way JP describes in the book; I'll let you know how it goes.
Nice.
Hope you have a great meet, platypus.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:17 pm
platypus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm I'm on GSLP as well, and I've got a meet December 9th. I'm doing some singles and doubles after my main work the way JP describes in the book; I'll let you know how it goes.
Nice.
Hope you have a great meet, platypus.
You too!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 am

I've (just) started adding in drop sets, and not pushing all the way to failed reps before deloads.
I actually haven't failed many reps ever on GSLP. Just gone to deload based on judgement.
So also dropping to the 3s essentially based on rpe from the 5s. I would have said "by feel" until recently.
I've hovered at a squat weight for two to three sessions sometimes too. Just till i wasn't scared to move up or if depth was an issue.
Benching 3Xweek and dropped ohp till after the meet.

Then working the easy singles. At least during this deload. I'll have to see how they fit in.
I don't want to loose touch with where i'm at intensity wise.

I'm just kind of Frankensteining GSLP for now.
It's easier for me to believe in than a wholesale change at this point.
Plus i'm tracking progress relative to what i've done, so even with changes, i basically know where i'm at.

I got that 6 weeks of new lp after doing the mini accumulation block, but @Manveer is right, i can't expect to go on like that until Feb. 24th.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 am Benching 3Xweek and dropped ohp till after the meet.
What made you decide to drop OHP?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am

platypus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 am What made you decide to drop OHP?
My bench sucking so much ass. lol.
Went to 3Xweek bench, but i need to be mindful of recovery.
Ohp was actually going really well. i was doing 110 8X8 - 5lbs below my previous 5X3 max when i ended that volume block.
I was reluctant to put that aside, but getting a chance to do a meet (the first full USAPL meet in Maine in over two years) took precedence.

I just hope this new gym owner is able to host more.
One meet a year would be great for me.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am

Bumping deadlifts from Saturdays to Thursdays to start this new cycle.
That gives me more time for last heavy DL before meet day.
May be able to move the last one to wednesday before the meet and adjust the squat days since they will be peaking days by then.

Another nice thing about this, is i now train on both days my wife does her library work shifts. Before it was just one.
She is completely great about my training, but having the house to myself for lifting remains awesome regardless.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 am

d0uevenlift wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am Yep, you can start two weeks out with triples, then doubles later in the same week. On the week of the meet, you can do Monday and Wednesday for those singles.

Your heaviest deadlift session should be a week out, like on Friday. On Monday of meet week, you can work up to your last deadlift warm-up.
I need to ask something again.
Two weeks out is the first full week before meet week?
So the 11th thru the 17th (meet on 24th)
That week is the heavy triples and doubles. Are those just warm ups and hit the triples and doubles and be done?
No other work sets that week, correct?
That would also mean regular training up until the 10th. I've got my last heavy DL 9 days out, so that's set.
Thanks.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 am
d0uevenlift wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am Yep, you can start two weeks out with triples, then doubles later in the same week. On the week of the meet, you can do Monday and Wednesday for those singles.

Your heaviest deadlift session should be a week out, like on Friday. On Monday of meet week, you can work up to your last deadlift warm-up.
I need to ask something again.
Two weeks out is the first full week before meet week?
So the 11th thru the 17th (meet on 24th)
That week is the heavy triples and doubles. Are those just warm ups and hit the triples and doubles and be done?
No other work sets that week, correct?
That would also mean regular training up until the 10th. I've got my last heavy DL 9 days out, so that's set.
Thanks.

Yessir. No work sets except for bench. Bench as your normally would, but cut rep down. So if you’d normally be doing 3x6 on bench, for example, you might do 3x5 or 3x4 at slightly higher intensity.

On the week of the meet you’d want to hit your squat opener about 5 days out, and your final squat warmup single 3 days out.

5 days out, do your bench opener for 3 singles. Then 3 days out, do your bench opener for a single.

5 days out, work up to a single deadlift at 66% of your e1RM.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 am

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 amThanks : )
Let me know how the meet goes!