A Call for Papers

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Re: A Call for Papers

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm

I don’t believe it takes more athleticism to pull sumo. But I do believe that both conventional, and sumo have their own set of technical difficulties. The less ROM does lend itself to making sumo somewhat easier, but looking at old school pictures of Lamar Gant, one could point out the ROM of his pulls versus that of shorter armed lifters made his puller “easier” as well.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm I don’t believe it takes more athleticism to pull sumo. But I do believe that both conventional, and sumo have their own set of technical difficulties. The less ROM does lend itself to making sumo somewhat easier, but looking at old school pictures of Lamar Gant, one could point out the ROM of his pulls versus that of shorter armed lifters made his puller “easier” as well.
Imagine if he had pulled sumo! Plates would be like 3" off the floor at lockout, lol.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm

TimK wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm
LexAnderson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm I don’t believe it takes more athleticism to pull sumo. But I do believe that both conventional, and sumo have their own set of technical difficulties. The less ROM does lend itself to making sumo somewhat easier, but looking at old school pictures of Lamar Gant, one could point out the ROM of his pulls versus that of shorter armed lifters made his puller “easier” as well.
Imagine if he had pulled sumo! Plates would be like 3" off the floor at lockout, lol.
At the local rec center meet I've done 3 or 4 times, there was a 14 year old girl who did pretty much exactly that. Just being able to hold onto what was likely more than double her body weight (150 lbs deadlift) as a 14 year old girl is still pretty impressive, but she moved the bar about as far as most people do when they unrack a squat.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:36 pm

TimK wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm Imagine if he had pulled sumo! Plates would be like 3" off the floor at lockout, lol.
Gant pulling sumo, with a deadlift bar. Belkin who?

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Chebass88 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am I would be interested in how to optimize self-programming in the absence of a coach. I could envision it as an algorithm / flow chart approach, but don't have enough experience to flesh it out.
I'm picturing a Choose Your Own Adventure book. "If you are over 50, turn to page 72. If you have shoulder issues, same page. If you are under 50, turn to page 24. If you still live at home and mum still cooks for you and irons your undies, turn to page 101 (Texas Method)."

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Savs wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 am Guys, maybe I'll contribute again, but now is way too soon for me. I still harbor quite a bit of residual anger from the last place. There's a lot of anger, actually, and I'm just going to stop typing now because thinking about it isn't productive.
It's been six weeks, better now? Plus... I like angry articles.

perman

Post by perman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 am

Outside altruism, what's the incentives for submitting articles here? Not that I doubt people's intentions here, but articles over at SS are usually always written by people who get paid in the fitness industry, and thus are incentivized to get their names out there. I kind of picture this as a thread of grand intentions and little follow-up. I'd love to be proven wrong though, but unless there are many coaches of ambition who wish to have their names "ring out", the amount of articles produced will probably be very low I believe...

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 am

Over the years on the SS boards, there were a lot of people expressing strong ideas, and complaining - as they continue to complain here - that they weren't allowed to express their dissenting training ideas.

Here's their chance. If your ideas are good, write them up - in detail, well-argued, maybe even footnoted if relevant. Interested people from both sites will surely read them.

perman

Post by perman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 am Over the years on the SS boards, there were a lot of people expressing strong ideas, and complaining - as they continue to complain here - that they weren't allowed to express their dissenting training ideas.

Here's their chance. If your ideas are good, write them up - in detail, well-argued, maybe even footnoted if relevant. Interested people from both sites will surely read them.
Sure, and they are writing those ideas. Writing articles is a time commitment beyond that, and requires clear elucidated thoughts, not just clever concepts. I'm just marking my skepticism about whether much will come of it, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:49 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm
Chebass88 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am I would be interested in how to optimize self-programming in the absence of a coach. I could envision it as an algorithm / flow chart approach, but don't have enough experience to flesh it out.
I'm picturing a Choose Your Own Adventure book. "If you are over 50, turn to page 72. If you have shoulder issues, same page. If you are under 50, turn to page 24. If you still live at home and mum still cooks for you and irons your undies, turn to page 101 (Texas Method)."
This book would *definitely* have RPE in it.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 am

perman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am Sure, and they are writing those ideas. Writing articles is a time commitment beyond that, and requires clear elucidated thoughts, not just clever concepts. I'm just marking my skepticism about whether much will come of it, I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Think more along the lines of an article in Ironman magazine, and less of a documented, properly cited scientific article. Bill Starr’s articles are a great example - they are chock full of useful information, and are easy to read. On the other hand, John Fair’s articles are suitable for publication in actual journals.

Analysis of lifts or an approach you’ve made doesn’t have to be exceedingly long or wordy. Maybe a few paragraphs might get the job done. If it ends up only a few people read it - that’s okay too. It is more productive than looking at T&A on IG.

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 am

Are you still interested in publishing articles on the website? If so, I'd like to propose my One weird trick to set up an HLM scheme THEY don't want you to know (working title). There is already very good feedback in the thread, that I could incorporate.

I'm also versed in markup languages like html, latex, markdown and asciidoc and am able to create simple websites, so I'm offering to help out in creating a basic website for the articles.

My idea is to write the articles in markdown or asciidoc, which are very simple plain text formats to write books and articles and can easily be converted into websites, pdfs and ebooks. This keeps the amount of work needed for publishing at bay and gives us more time to focus on the content.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 am

We’ve got a few good starts so far.

We’ll need to set up some sort of static space to host the articles and we are currently bouncing around ideas.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 am

unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 amI'm also versed in markup languages like html, latex, markdown and asciidoc and am able to create simple websites, so I'm offering to help out in creating a basic website for the articles.
Very cool and a generous offer. We'll get you involved.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 am We’ve got a few good starts so far.

We’ll need to set up some sort of static space to host the articles and we are currently bouncing around ideas.
Jekyll is very nice for creating static websites from markdown. It's an elegant way to divorce the content from the layout.
Manveer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 am
unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 amI'm also versed in markup languages like html, latex, markdown and asciidoc and am able to create simple websites, so I'm offering to help out in creating a basic website for the articles.
I can't wait!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 am

unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 am

Jekyll is very nice for creating static websites from markdown. It's an elegant way to divorce the content from the layout.
I can't wait!
We were literally talking about getting a static site/landing page with a place for articles yesterday. I even specifically mentioned your HLM post you made. How fortuitous that you were somehow on the same wavelength.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 am

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 am
unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 am

I can't wait!
We were literally talking about getting a static site/landing page with a place for articles yesterday. I even specifically mentioned your HLM post you made. How fortuitous that you were somehow on the same wavelength.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 am

unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 am Image
Wait... Does this mean I'm Keanu Reeves?

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

Anything related to programming, recovery, and RPE... so basically lifting related lol.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm

The first paper needs to be ALP.

ALP part 1: the Novice progression.

ALP part 2: the aesthetic intermediate and the GUAP [Generalized Undulating Aesthetic Periodization]